Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine light on, Safty mode engaged, Running hot!

AFlanno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 2009
Morning guys,

Had the pleasure of leaving my newly purchased 2009 SS on the side of the road last night, and the fun part is I have no idea what happened.

I was driving up the on ramp to the high way, I had already noticed it was running a little hotter than usual, so I granny it up onto the highway hoping I could get it home, thinking maybe it does have enough water (even though it had a service 3 days ago...) I got half way up the on ramp to the highway and the hot needle literally jumped to H, dash told me it was hot, then about 2 seconds later it engaged safety mode, power reduced and I pulled over. I did notice that the car felt weird pulling up on the side of the road, kinda like the engine was rocking a little, but after letting it cool down it sounded normal and felt normal, but if I was to drive it or leave it running it would go to hot in a matter of minutes.

ps, it was a cold night and pissing down rain.

My first thought was, maybe the fan belt had broken and taken the water pipe with it.. but it all looks intact.. :hmmm:

Basically just looking for some idea's on the problem before I towe it to the mechanics on monday.

-addy

AFlanno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 2009
I wasn't exactly sure how to check the coolant level last night and I had no reception. But I will do this and get back to you

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
I wasn't exactly sure how to check the coolant level last night and I had no reception. But I will do this and get back to you
Mate I hope your car is ok, and the following isn't a go at you.
Butt, as a learner driver, part of the test and learning procedure should include, checking of fluids and knowing if your temp needle moves and your not towing 4 ton of fire wood to pull over.

Scratches head......

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
I heard a story that Holden tested a VE V8 around Lang Lang with no coolant and it wouldn't overheat. The story was that the engine management just keeps shutting down cylinders. Apparently the engineers cancelled the test after a number of hours because the test was a failure (failed to kill the engine) and they got bored.

Can't back it up, it was just what I heard.

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
I heard a story that Holden tested a VE V8 around Lang Lang with no coolant and it wouldn't overheat. The story was that the engine management just keeps shutting down cylinders. Apparently the engineers cancelled the test after a number of hours because the test was a failure (failed to kill the engine) and they got bored.

Can't back it up, it was just what I heard.

If you believe this, you will probably buy a car that runs on gas or something else as absurd ;)

AFlanno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 2009
Coolant level is at recommended..
Had it towed to the mechanic this morning, Will reply here of what they find

Found the problem
image is massive so find it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73594838/2013-06-03 09.31.08.jpg

The plastic to the radiator has snapped off inside the pipe, looks like a new radiator for me, why make this out of plastic? surely something that goes hot cold hot cold would be made of something a little stronger than plastic

-Addy

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
That's what happens when the financial department gets involved!

I've noticed a few people having dramas with the OEM radiators after their cars reach approx 4 years old.