Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine noise!!!!

[SIK-GMH]

Reaction score
Members Ride
1 Immac VN Commodore
Hi ive got a vn v6 series 2 motor its got 250,000k on it. recently its developed a rattle/nock type of nosie at the front part of the motor. ive taken off the belt and noise goes away, could it be the harmonic balancer or something behind the timing cover.wondering if anyone has had similar problem out there. THANKS [SIK-GMH]

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
nice and easy, harmonic ballancer, be sure to make sure you get the right ballancer, runs of the build date, and weather it's a series 1 or 2, simple job to replace also

cheers
garth

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
If its the balancer you should see the rubber between the inner and outer parts fractured.If you look from the front of the balancer you should be able to see it but you might need a mirror to see it.
The noise is not anything behind the timing case if the noise goes away when you take the belt off.
Check the water pump bearings if the balancer looks ok and then the tensioner.

[SIK-GMH]

Reaction score
Members Ride
1 Immac VN Commodore
thanks for that ill check it out it hopefully i can fix the problem because its a real head turner(noisy idle) :b: lol thanks for the replies cheers!!

N

nickiscoollest

depending on the sound it could be simpler again with the tensioner pulley bearing being worn. thats a 30$ replacement part from repco but be carful not to get one of the ones that was recalled (i got 4) before gettting one that worked well free of charge of course

Majesticknights

The Dark Prince
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL HDT Calais Wagon Brock 346 stroker
my gf mother got a similar bad noise in her mazda, turned out to be he clutch on the aircon pump. check out all thing that run off the belt before running out and buying stuff or atleast keep ur receipts :)

Mark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
i hate that tapping noise.. harmonic balancer.. its so easy to recognise.. sounds like marble or something thrown against a wall.. but always make sure u know wat it is before u go spending cash

W

Wonderboy

tensioner pulley bearings is common. if u dont have a mechanics stethoscope, u can use a long screwdriver and place it on the bolt that holds the pulley on with the engine running u press your ear hard into the end of the screw driver handle and it will amplify any bearing sounds through the handle so its easy and loud to hear. u can use it on any engine part. and all the pulleys and the harmonic balancer. even stuff like rocker covers. auto housings. diffs u name it. i have a stethoscope and its much more comfy than a screwdriver but it does the job

kirkson

Captain
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr v6 exec duel fuel
I would remove the fan belt. and spin every pully by hand you will definately hear the offending one, I will put my money on your ideler bearing easy peasy, just remember it has a left hand thread.
regards Kirk

totality

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina wagon 5.0 litre
ive got a 5.0 litre V8 VT and it has the same noise.
i changed the idler pulley and it is still making the noise.
i did the trick with the screw driver and put it to the water pump and it was noisy as hell.
is it hard to change the water pump on a 5 litre?