Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Oil Level

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
been ticked off a few times by customers who claimed we over or under filled their sumps , they think they know best and when asked to check the oil level before cold starting they just go with oh what difference will that make ????? .
customer is always right until proven wrong then your a smart arse coz you made them look silly ?????

I can understand your frustration.

So you're a qualified mechanic?? When do I check the oil level, is it before a cold start?

Based on my OP, has it been over-filled?

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
at 23mm over the full mark i'd say yes overfull maybe by .5 -.7 litre and should be reset to correct level , always best to check oil level before cold starting the engine or at least 4 hours since shut down this way all oil inside the motor has had time to drain back to the sump and set the correct level and should be parked on a level surface when checking aswell .

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
The Holden web site says to check when hot 10 minutes after turn off, link below, click on the tab for checking engine oil.

Car Care & Maintenance Tips – Holden.com.au

Again, they are saying correct oil level is important to prevent engine damage, which would refer to both under and over level.

I used to do the oil change on my previous vehicle, and I'm pretty sure the oil fill point on most engines essentially flows direct to the sump, it's only when you start the car that the oil is pumped through the engine which then takes extra time to drain back into the sump.
At normal operating temp, the oil viscosity would be lower and should flow a little quicker.

When adding new oil I only had to wait a minute to check the level, obviously these guys aren't checking the level.
The filter holds a few hundred mill.
I reckon my engine's been over filled by at least 1L, possibly nudging towards 1.5L

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
yep and the bumble butts at GM said that if a LS1 knocks for 3.0 mins after cold start that's ok tooooooooooooo :banstick: .

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Well after I got the VS over I few oil changes I got it to set at full mark when cold.
Now you don`t get all the oil out on a oil change so I added 4l because manual says 4l without filter+.3l with filter (4.3l)
Worked great drain oil remove filter add 4L spot on full on dipstick.
I don`t have figures but when I start to do my oil changes on the VE I proberly will not put the full amount of oil in and check when cold.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
You would think Holden would calibrate the dipstick to how they recommend checking the oil as per their web site and owners handbook, which is hot a few minutes after shutdown. As a side note I check mine cold but I know it will be approx 1 cm over the full mark, but on the full line when checked hot, been this way for the past 14 years and no problems.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
You would think Holden would calibrate the dipstick to how they recommend checking the oil as per their web site and owners handbook, which is hot a few minutes after shutdown. As a side note I check mine cold but I know it will be approx 1 cm over the full mark, but on the full line when checked hot, been this way for the past 14 years and no problems.

Yes, I believe you are correct.
I have done some more research and checked with my new mechanic who owns a VE SS, my car is the SV6 LY7

Checking that the oil level is correct should be done just after the engine is turned off, around 1 minute or so, and after the engine has been running for at least a few minutes or after a drive.
With the correct oil level it will appear over full by about 10-15mm above the full mark, if you check it cold, ie: left overnight.

There is also a difference between the VE V8 and the VE V6
The V8 has the older style filter which screws in from the bottom of the engine but the SV6 uses a 'cartridge filter' which is located inside a housing at the top of the engine, so ALL the oil from the V6 oil filter will drain back into the sump overnight, due to gravity. (except for what may be soaked into the filter material)

Commydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 vz Commodore
Sorry but alil lost,

Hello,
I'm wondering would anyone know any good mechanics around brisbane area,that know Alloytec engines,
I've just got a 05 v6 vz commadore, 212kls but clean for its age,
I noticed it lacked power compared to the older vy when I got it,
So i changed oil,filter,fuel filter,spark plugs,air filter,ultratune tested coils an said everything seems fine,
But yet the engine still shakes a bit,ildes at about 600rpm but the car it self shakes a small bit,
Shakes more waiting at the lights,
Plus it seems very slow compared to the older vy, the vz is very laggy,foot pedal not very responsive,
Wonder is there any fix to that,