Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine tick

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII berlina v6 auto sedan
Hey guys I've done a recent rebuild that got completed today when the first start was done I had some significant top end noise despite everything being torqued down to spec properly. I replaced the lifters with repco nason hydraulic roller lifters.
After going for a drive and letting the car warm up the noise cleared up.
After letting it cool down and starting it back up the noise is back to a lesser extent.
All other parts that were fixed like lim gaskets are working properly and the car idles and drives with no significant performance losses except for a light shudder when idling
Has anyone done a rebuild like this and had a persistent tick?
I'm thinking injectors which are probably at least 15 years old or f***Ed exhaust gaskets as I don't see any reason why it would be ticking lifters that are brand new
Edit: more thinking bad injectors due to really s**t fuel economy + the bad idle and the fact I think it's misfiring on one cylinder

Last edited:

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
A tick can sometimes be the sound of an Exhaust Leak
It could be something has a gap when cold but seals itself when warm causing such a tick.
If it is getting extra air in, the O2s could be seeing it as lean and trying to richen the mix, thus worse economy.

Are all the plugs and leads connected properly, and how are the Coil Packs etc?
Best of starting with all the small free kind of checks first then moving to purchasing anything.

Also what other ancillaries have you changed?
ie O2s, Coils, Plugs, Leads etc.

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride
A tick can sometimes be the sound of an Exhaust Leak
It could be something has a gap when cold but seals itself when warm causing such a tick.
If it is getting extra air in, the O2s could be seeing it as lean and trying to richen the mix, thus worse economy.

Are all the plugs and leads connected properly, and how are the Coil Packs etc?
Best of starting with all the small free kind of checks first then moving to purchasing anything.

Also what other ancillaries have you changed?
ie O2s, Coils, Plugs, Leads etc.
Yeah I initially thought exhaust leak but after taking it to a friend at his shop he used that stethoscope that they use to listen for ticks and knocks and determined the injectors are f**ked , the front passenger side two are faulty plus the driver side are going too , I'd say there's more issues that are there. As for now I ordered the cheapest set of ebay Injectors to use as a test set and I'd the problem cleans up I'm going to get a good set but if it persists I'll do the dfi , coil packs and spark leads next as the spark leads are old and crumbling

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
If the leads are that old and crumbling I'd be inclined to change them sooner rather than later.
It could be that they are breaking down under load, thus the missing and ticks (being unburnt fuel out the exhaust)
If fuel is unburnt and hits the O2s then it can poison them.

Just a thought.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Shudder on idle could be engine mounts are stuffed.
Can be checked with the bonnet up and someone you trust behind the wheel.
You standing at the front or a camera watching the engine, have the other person place their foot firmly on the brake
put it in drive and watch foe movement. Increase the revs and watch for future movement.
Then repeat in reverse gear.

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride
If the leads are that old and crumbling I'd be inclined to change them sooner rather than later.
It could be that they are breaking down under load, thus the missing and ticks (being unburnt fuel out the exhaust)
If fuel is unburnt and hits the O2s then it can poison them.

Just a thought.
The leads are tested working , I am gonna replace them this Wednesday

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride
Shudder on idle could be engine mounts are stuffed.
Can be checked with the bonnet up and someone you trust behind the wheel.
You standing at the front or a camera watching the engine, have the other person place their foot firmly on the brake
put it in drive and watch foe movement. Increase the revs and watch for future movement.
Then repeat in reverse gear.
The engine mounts are on their way out , I'm gonna habe those replaced professionally though I cbf doing those but this is more a shudder from a misfire. I'll start with injectors and then follow with plug leads and then next month I'll have a service done with new filters oil and engine mounts

Speeddemon030

Reaction score
Members Ride
Shudders are normally leads or plugs.

Instead of ebay injectors, why not go to the tip, they will probably better than ebay injectors (sarcasm)
They aren't a long term thing , more like a test set to see if it resolves the problem , I got a set of good genuine refurbished on standby ready for purchase if my mate was telling the truth.
I do agree though I will do a spark lead overhaul at some point next week on Wednesday
Thanks to everyone for the pointers and advice , I'll look into everything that was suggested and 100% will replace spark leads too

Reactions: Lex