Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engineering certificate for brake upgrade from SS to Brembo brakes ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
You just proved they have two sizes. Cheers! I’ll use that as evidence too.

I didnt prove anything other than to show you that the V6 has smaller brakes than the V8 SS which are bigger than our Redline.

At this point in time I wont be adding any more to the conversation. Good luck with your endeavours......................

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Settle down boys. Cheverlot in the US has a Performance division and they test/validate all the performance options available for the Camaro. So when one puts on the Brembo package or their cold air intake, etc, Chevrolet knows what will happen to the vehicle and their systems.

Holden doesn't have a performance division and can only test/validate standard parts for each model.
The Camaro V6 also as an RS model and 1LE which gets the factory brembos as standard so Chevy has done a lot of testing/validating already.

As a former member of Holden Engineeing during VE/VF and zeta based Camaro, I can tell you that no base SS was ever tested/validated with the Brembo package. So yes, unfortunately people will have to get an engineer to certify. Wether the safety systems will be better or worse when adding heap of modifications, no one will actaully know as the algorithms used are based off standard parts/standard power levels.

Good luck Tryg, if the engineer you are using requires Camaro info as evidence then all good for you.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Find a engineer that is capable of complying the modifications you are wanting to do (not all can do everything like my brake change was both design and components). Then pass your car over to said engineer to conduct certification. Best to speak with an engineer directly about your plans and ask them what would be sufficient. That way you are working together to do all that can be done to make things right with the same engineer to meet their requirement which would meet the standard of the state. Whether that is doing your own work or having your mechanic do the work. And you are not guessing which way to take the car endlessly. ABS module operation is a important factor. Make sure your ABS still works fine. I can’t comment on their certification process as I am not them. But mine is certified LG1 and LG2. Basically find a engineer and go with them and work with them to get to end point. P.s...... to OP, getting your brakes swap engineered does not mean requiring to change ‘every’ brake component to the exact same part as Holden put on their redline now. Your engineer can determine if the job is compliant. Food for thought.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Settle down boys. Cheverlot in the US has a Performance division and they test/validate all the performance options available for the Camaro. So when one puts on the Brembo package or their cold air intake, etc, Chevrolet knows what will happen to the vehicle and their systems.

Holden doesn't have a performance division and can only test/validate standard parts for each model.
The Camaro V6 also as an RS model and 1LE which gets the factory brembos as standard so Chevy has done a lot of testing/validating already.

As a former member of Holden Engineeing during VE/VF and zeta based Camaro, I can tell you that no base SS was ever tested/validated with the Brembo package. So yes, unfortunately people will have to get an engineer to certify. Wether the safety systems will be better or worse when adding heap of modifications, no one will actaully know as the algorithms used are based off standard parts/standard power levels.

Good luck Tryg, if the engineer you are using requires Camaro info as evidence then all good for you.
Right. Only the SS with the Sat Nav and leather seats called SS-V was tested, fitment was approved (with different wheels) and was christened the SS-V Redline.
Presumably the decision to offer Brembos on VEII to customers was to increase the value differential for those not wanting to fork out large on the sat nav and leather, ie was an elitist marketing decision, not engineering.
Clearly certifying an SS would mean that those with cloth seats could have decent brakes too, which would make sense from our perspective but not the marketing men.
V8 are *all* SS FFS except sofa models (Calais and Caprice).

Last edited:

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Right. Only the SS with the Sat Nav and leather seats called SS-V was tested, fitment was approved (with different wheels) and was christened the SS-V Redline.
Presumably the decision to offer Brembos to customers who felt they forked out too much on the sat nav and leather was a marketing decision.
Clearly certifying an SS would mean that those with cloth seats could have decent brakes too, which would make sense from our perspective but not the marketing men.
They are all SS FFS

In your eyes their all SS's but internally each model variant is separate and treated separately during development. Unfortunately common sense doesn't prevail in the automotive industry.
Anyway it is what it is and lucky their are engineers out their that can assist in compliance if one wishes to go down that path.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I am still in contact with Holden engineer who said he will provide the list of parts unique to SSV Redline Brembo brake kit.
Will post it here when I get it as it can help people who decide to do Brembo upgrade on SS and have it engineered...

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car

Why would Holden homologate the HSV with AP Racing componentry?

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Why would Holden homologate the HSV with AP Racing componentry?

HSV is separate to Holden. Holden owns HSV name, Walkinshaw/premoso group owns and runs HSV. HSV do their own engineering and certification.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Okay. There must be some leverage there then. Maybe I’ll stop this conversation, I’m not trying to be adversarial, but so many are saying I’m wrong or can’t be done.

My engineer said what I’ve collected is enough evidence to complete the design (LG1) and go to conversion and testing (LG2).

So I guess I really don’t understand the naysaying, if it’s good enough for an engineer here in QLD, and those elsewhere (like WA, where the combination I contributed has been approved), then I wonder why there’s still opposition?

I generally celebrate achievements, not poo poo them, but that’s me.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Okay. There must be some leverage there then. Maybe I’ll stop this conversation, I’m not trying to be adversarial, but so many are saying I’m wrong or can’t be done.

My engineer said what I’ve collected is enough evidence to complete the design (LG1) and go to conversion and testing (LG2).

So I guess I really don’t understand the naysaying, if it’s good enough for an engineer here in QLD, and those elsewhere (like WA, where the combination I contributed has been approved), then I wonder why there’s still opposition?

I generally celebrate achievements, not poo poo them, but that’s me.

Having them approved in one state, doesn't mean they will be approved in another state, as all states interperate rules differently....Even engineers from the same state interperate them differently....

So ideally, to have this upgrade signed off, it would have to be done by the individual state the car is in, with the owner providing the necessary documents they have obtained to try and help with the process, if they wish to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.