Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Error codes not displaying

Happy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Executive S2 3.8 Ecotec
My mate's 97 VT Aclaim wagon engine light doesn't blink or display error codes when I bridge his terminals 5 & 6.
Works fine on my 99 VT series 2 exec.
Does anybody know if the error code display was operational on his model or could it have been disabled?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Does the check engine light actually come on when the ignition is first turned to on and start? All the dash warning lights should come on when the key is turned to on and start to show that they are all working and that no bulbs are blown etc.

Happy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes. When the ignition is switched on he check engine globe comes on steadily.
Makes no difference if terminals 5 & 6 are bridged before switching on.
Terminal 5 does actually earth OK & terminal 6 wire tests OK for continuity as far as the PCM.

Happy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can anybody with an early VT Aclaim tell me if THEY can retrieve error codes by bridging terminals 5 & 6?
Or tell me if they can't bring them up.
Thanks

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
With VT V6 and 5 litre engines, the error codes are retrieveable by bridging pins 5 and 6 and flashing the codes up via the check engine light. Ive retrieved codes before on a VX V6, so yes, a VT V6 will definitley flash up codes, the VX was the last model that had the flashable error codes.The VX had the 4 digit error code setup instead of the 2 digit setup, eg- code 12 on VT would be one flash, followed by 2 flashes. On VX its 10 flashes, 10 flashes, one flash, 2 flashes. The tens equal zero.
Id be looking at the wiring going from the diagnostic connector, and if theyre all original etc and not broken anywhere, then the ECU itself may be faulty.

Happy

Reaction score
Members Ride