Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ethanol Blend E10 fuel?

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Anyone know how the Ecotec V6 responds to this stuff? I know our good old state grubbyment up here in Queensland want to mandate the stuff, so you have no choice in whether you use it or not. How would this affect our cars? I have a 96 VS-II Berlina with the Ecotec V6.
There are many cars I know which simply can't use it. Hyundai :b: has said that thier cars from 1994 back cannot use it, and that from 1994 to late 2003 they are "unsure", and if "problems persist, go back to normal unleaded"...well that's fine...unless your stupid government has "mandated" it and you have no choice.
I have one friend up north who has has a few problems with his VR V6 wagon when he tried E10, but that is the older V6.

Any ideas?

midnight.outlaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S series 2
Is E10 10% ethanol? if it is, it's pretty bad for almost any motor. We used to use petrol from the station that had Ethanol in it for our boat and it ate away at one of the valves until it broke off, essentially stuffing the engine until it was properly fixed. so yeah, bad if it's that ethanol crap

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
ethanole is bad, it makes any car burn hotter, so imagin the heat your valves and stuff are getting during the explosion. so yeah, you could say it's not a good thing that's for sure

i surely dont think the grubbyment could be that stupid, after all, remember, qld is the smart state

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Oh believe me mate, they will if they can get away with it...the cane farmers and environmentalists up here are for once pointing in the same direction. They want it compulsory in all unleaded fuel here.
Yep, "E10" is 10% ethanol. Most car makers have a list of which of thier vehicles are OK, which are not, and which are "questionable". It is the "Not OK", and the "questionable" which are frightening.
Say you've got a rather nice car, a Commodore of course, and it is a pretty late model, VS, VT, whatever. Now, say they bring in E10 as manditory in all service stations up here in Queensland, and you find out your car is not able to run on it very well, if at all. "Oh, I'll sell it and buy a much newer one that will run on the crap". Really...? And who will buy it? It would have exactly zero resale value...you may as well park it in the back yard and make a chook shed out of it.

"Smart State"....? Yeah right....

Maybe Holden themselves will tell us if we ask...but then again, a lot of car makers are very very cagey when you try to pin them down on whether it is suitable for your car...warantee worries you see... :b:

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
FCAI list of cars that can run on ethanol.

E10 is mostly fine for post-86 cars with EFI, it's not so good for most carbied cars. it melts the floats and eats the fuel lines.

the major problems with ethanol were surrounding dodgy servos selling E30

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Boy, those oil companies can sure spread good stories eh! especially when they stand to lose market (read money). Quite a few states in the USA allow ethanol blended fuels apart from many South American countries - some use 100% ethanol. If you were a canefarmer watching your farm being reposessed you may think differently. I live where many are going to the wall - dont listen to rumours - find the facts....oh yes...never believe a politician. Regards

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
you can't run 100% ethanol in a car designed for petrol.

the US has run low-blends like E10 for a while - their cars are designed for it. most cars sold here are also fine - it's when dick honan (who owns manildra) started pumping it up to E30 that problems arose - particularly for older cars.

it's sad that cane farmers are against the wall - but i don't want my fuel system clogged up in trying to help them out!

midnight.outlaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S series 2
Think about the old way of getting back at someone, by destoying thier engine by putting sugar in thier gas tank!, and what is ethanol made of ?? ... thats right.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Midnight.outlaw.....what do you thing Bundy is made of? - sugar...same as ethanol, and by the way, most of the ethanol sold in Australia is imported or made locally from wheat or other grain. Do a GOOGLE search to find about ethanol because when oil is over $100 a barrel and you're paying $3 per litre for gas you'll be more than happy to pay half that for ethanol.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
it costs a lot more than that to make ethanol. the only reason it competes with petrol is because there's an over-supply of the raw materials used to produce it at present.

if every car ran on ethanol, there's no way we could supply enough of it.