Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ethusiasts aren't all HOONS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
Australian media as a whole aren't journalists. They are tabloid and spruik spreaders.

They rarely go in depth into any form of research to present hard facts, they always report the first source of statistics or 'information' they find by using Google search. This has gotten them into a lot of trouble lately.
A mate of mine has worked for a newspaper for over 25 years. He doesn’t make too many comments about the quality of journalism but due to his association our group has had a few interviews about relatively insignificant stories. What has happened on every occasion is that none of their actual statements have ever made it to print. What is printed is the reporters interpretation of what was said either preceded or followed by the reporters own narrative for context. I can’t remember a case where one of the stories resembled the truth more than 60%.
You always hear “never believe what you read in a newspaper” and I can vouch for that. I have no reason to think the electronic media is any different.

blueVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP, VL walkinshaw replica
Damn they were some quick burnouts, maybe slow the footage down and show us the real speed they were travelling.

I can understand the wedding burnouts, it's pretty much a given that there's gonna be burnouts if the wedding cars are hotted up.

It says in the report the torana forced another car to brake and stop?
I didn't see that, actually the entire time those cars were 'hooning' the street was dead quiet.

No they shouldn't do it in built up areas but at least the street wasn't busy which majorly reduced the chances of anyone getting killed or injured.

If they really do fly up and down the street at 100km/h then where's the evidence?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Damn they were some quick burnouts, maybe slow the footage down and show us the real speed they were travelling.

I can understand the wedding burnouts, it's pretty much a given that there's gonna be burnouts if the wedding cars are hotted up.
It says in the report the torana forced another car to brake and stop?
I didn't see that, actually the entire time those cars were 'hooning' the street was dead quiet.

No they shouldn't do it in built up areas but at least the street wasn't busy which majorly reduced the chances of anyone getting killed or injured.

If they really do fly up and down the street at 100km/h then where's the evidence?

Ummmm right... maybe on the banjo playing side of the tracks.

I was at a wedding just a few months ago were the wedding cars where a old school falcon, worked torana and a 69 Camaro. No burnouts.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Enthusiasts aren't all hoons. A hoon has no regard for law or safety, and generally lacks common sense

It's not ####ing rocket science guys.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Everything vehicular related is dangerous. You could be plottiing along at 20 have something happen and lose control. Get your head out your ass.
true, however it's about the level of risk a driver puts themselves and the public at. A motorist plotting down a suburban road at 20 or even 50kph is far less likely to lose control than a driver sliding a car down the road at 20kph with rear tyres up in smoke...

Imagine a wife,girlfriend, child being killed by some idiot showing off to his mates doing a burnout down a suburban street - you'd want to kill the driver.
Whereas if the same thing happened to the motorist driving down the same road, doing the right thing when he swerves to miss a dog or something - you'd still be devastated, but would you feel the same way about the driver ?

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
No body answered my question so I'll ask again.

If the front wheels on a RWD have no traction how do we steer?

We're splitting hairs now, but technically I tend to agree with you that front wheels have traction during a burnout.
I believe having traction means transmitting a friction force without causing two surfaces to slip.

During a burnout the front tyres are transmitting a friction force to the road to hold the car in place and there is no slip between the tyre and road surface so yes the front tyres have "traction"

But thats fairly irrelevant because burnouts on suburban streets are stupid and as many posted vids have demonstrated it can also be very dangerous regardless of how much traction the front shoes have. At least doing it in a deserted industrial estate shows some common sense but this is just stupid.
And if there were burnouts on my wedding day my missus would murder me with a blunt object hence adding to the danger

blueVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP, VL walkinshaw replica
Na i dont like musical instuments really.

I was at a good mates wedding a couple weeks ago and the wedding cars were all hotted up old school falcon and every one did a skid.
The local traffic actually stopped to let them leave and you could see by their faces they enjoyed it just as much as we did.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
We're splitting hairs now, but technically I tend to agree with you that front wheels have traction during a burnout.
I believe having traction means transmitting a friction force without causing two surfaces to slip.

During a burnout the front tyres are transmitting a friction force to the road to hold the car in place and there is no slip between the tyre and road surface so yes the front tyres have "traction"

But thats fairly irrelevant because burnouts on suburban streets are stupid and as many posted vids have demonstrated it can also be very dangerous regardless of how much traction the front shoes have. At least doing it in a deserted industrial estate shows some common sense but this is just stupid.
And if there were burnouts on my wedding day my missus would murder me with a blunt object hence adding to the danger

I lol'ed at this. Very true. My fiancee would do about the same... Haha.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
I was at a good mates wedding a couple weeks ago and the wedding cars were all hotted up old school falcon and every one did a skid.

OUCH!!! What happened? Accident or something? I can't imagine the girls in the bridal party would have been to happy about skidding. Ah the advances of technology such as ABS where skidding is a think of the past. Although stopping quickly without skidding can be done in older cars - drivers just need to know how.

Status
Not open for further replies.