Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EV cars.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
All boats or just ships?

Bulk carrier ships for the reasons Chrisp said. Also they can afford to expend maximum development costs to make bulk carrier engines more efficient as the per unit cost makes it worthwhile. A bulk carrier ship engine has over 40% efficiency, which is far more than any other form of ICE engine.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here’s a good video on the state of play of the EV market currently. Still plenty of hurdles to be overcome before mass adoption and most people are still only wanting to go as far as hybrids.

Depreciation is a bitch and an interesting point is that part of the deprecation is probably because you can’t assess the state of the battery on a used EV so your taking a pretty big punt on the remaining life of the most expensive part of the vehicle.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Here’s a good video on the state of play of the EV market currently. Still plenty of hurdles to be overcome before mass adoption and most people are still only wanting to go as far as hybrids.

Depreciation is a bitch and an interesting point is that part of the deprecation is probably because you can’t assess the state of the battery on a used EV so your taking a pretty big punt on the remaining life of the most expensive part of the vehicle.

I really think battery swap is the way to go with EV's , especially, as someone earlier suggested for semi's , This would eliminate any anxiety on the state of the battery and make buying a second hand EV a breeze. Such as NIO

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I really think battery swap is the way to go with EV's , especially, as someone earlier suggested for semi's , This would eliminate any anxiety on the state of the battery and make buying a second hand EV a breeze. Such as NIO

Battery swaps were part of Teslas plan for a while. I’m guessing that the logistics of that are pretty difficult as an EV battery would be very heavy and not at all easy to swap out.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
They would be if they were smaller and more modular. The biggest issue you'll never get manufacturers to agree on a standard. It takes regulation to achieve that like standard phone charger in the EU.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
have you ever bought a "used" battery from the wreckers
some are good and some rubbish
but you pay the same
now imagine getting your EV battery swapped and new battery only lasts 1 hour
or throws a MIL 1/2 hour later and shuts car down

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the US does it with there EV trucks the whole front clips off and back on then away they go again, ok for a transport company prob not worth the infrastructure for the general public tho, trucks are way more modular to work with

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Battery swaps were part of Teslas plan for a while. I’m guessing that the logistics of that are pretty difficult as an EV battery would be very heavy and not at all easy to swap out.
I think NIO have you in and out in under 5 min
They would be if they were smaller and more modular. The biggest issue you'll never get manufacturers to agree on a standard. It takes regulation to achieve that like standard phone charger in the EU.
Yes and as battery's improve then smaller sized battery's would be needed, Its taken about 15 years for a standard for mobile phones so maybe in 20 we can establish a standard , the actual plug in chargers are already developing a standard, which is led by Tesla , being it was the first major EV builder so i imagine company's like NIO will lead the way for battery swap.
have you ever bought a "used" battery from the wreckers
some are good and some rubbish
but you pay the same
now imagine getting your EV battery swapped and new battery only lasts 1 hour
or throws a MIL 1/2 hour later and shuts car down
I'm sure battery testing will be quite comprehensive by this stage, its not that hard to determine a battery's health , even now.
Another bonus with this technology is that recycling will work hand in hand. Which is another gripe with battery technology , but at least it's contained in a solid battery, its a lot easier to handle than belching tons of gas into the atmosphere and trying to retrieve it or sequester it.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Better Place proposed a battery swap scheme and standard. The appeal was that the person purchased a car, but rented a battery, so it had a lower upfront cost. The battery rental was a bit like a gas bottle rental, so a fee for the swap that included the energy and use of the battery. They had a drive-in, drive-out automated battery swapping station, so the swap was quite fast.

The user could choose to swap or, if they preferred m they could recharge the battery (say, at home).

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I think battery swapping in Australia will be a OH+S nightmare.