Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ever seen this

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
just remove the bent parts R or R as required, clean up the fractured piece with a grinder and weld it back into place, the obvious applies, if ya can't weld pay someone that can, it's not a huge job for an experienced welder.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
it would be cheaper to take it to an engineer and get them to grind and weld it back up and see what can be reinforced to stop it from happening agen

slappa.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
yeh thats the plan got a tow tomorrow morning to the welders. shouldnt be a big job. yeh pretty lucky it happened 100m from my house... just hope the pricks dont damage my new mags welding close to em! im taking before pics.

fxst01 yeh it looks like it, but there is some fresh cracks which sent it to the ****, i had a good look under there while i was doing the oil a week ago..

thanks for ur help

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
from the QLD modifications site

The welding, chrome plating or bending of axles, suspension or steering components, as a method of repair or alterations, is not permitted.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
That's where the bit of paper comes in real handy, I am a retired engineer.....he / I would tell you to do exactly the same thing, but an engineering cert can cost ya anywhere from $250 -$500, just to check the weld, what would you prefer to do ?

The only point being the person doing the welding must know how to weld before attempting it, that should go without saying it.

Any ticketed boilermaker / fitter will do fine, there are plenty of welding places that would do it in ten ninutes, it's a simple job if the piece fits back in without changing the link point.

Should cost $20 for the welding, no more.

LOL, it's real handy to know an engineer...

"engineers hat on", Something like that would need proper investigation as to why it failed, good chance the car has been in a front end crash, parts like that simply don't fail due to improper metal structure, why that VS ? once the engineer gets stuck into checking the metal structure your better off replacing the entire sub chassis assembly section, there comes the cash.

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
good luck to try to get it road worthy then

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
fxst01 yeh it looks like it, but there is some fresh cracks which sent it to the ****, i had a good look under there while i was doing the oil a week ago..
thanks for ur help

ummm how come u didnt get it fixed a week ago????

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Ok with it blown up, That is a stress fracture of the metal caused due to excessive heat in the original factory weld, note the metal is broken next to the weld not on it, likely it started from prior accident damage, shown with the rust on the break, that + repeated shock from the bush flogging back and forth stressing the remaining metal and finishing the job.

Check the car's history for accident, would require a fair whack to crack it, true a direct hit with a gutter would be the most likely, a front ender would have damaged other sections.

Also check the welds on the other side, possible it's not been welded out on all sides at the factory, those sections are put in a jig before welding manually.

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
looks like you have some superpro bushes in there stiffening everything up/putting more strain on the metal. It's a well known fact that the K frame in VN-VS were weak, they rectified this problem in VT-onwards models. Pitty we can't use these crossmembers cause of the track difference.

slappa.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
boona - wat i meant was, i was under there a week ago and didnt find anything wrong, if i did, it would have gone straight in.

lots of helpful info there.... u guys know ur stuff!

took about half hour to get it on the tilt tray. i hear wat ur all saying about getting a boiler maker or any welder to do it, but they wont put their name to it. so without engineer cert. $300 - $500 it may just be better replacing the whole frame. which is still gunna cost around the same..

so im ****ed both ways!
there goes my jetski

thanks i'll let u know of the quotes.