Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ex Police Cars

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
That means the AU Falcons wouldn't have be good for more than the stock speed limit of what is it 185km/h? What's the limiter set at on a BA XR8? about 250-260? like the SS Commodores or less?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
ford does have specific calibrations for police cars with different speed limiters & shift points
Cheers Rob

P

perthgen3man

Actually up to the 2000 model VT Commodore different memcals were installed in the Police Trafic cars to increase the idling whilst in park and neautral (whilst emergency lights were activated), nothing to assist with power at all, just with the idling.

S

scooterjohansen

poor man ss

this a a WA car. How then can I tell if it is really chipped without going on the dyno?what would be the 0-100kmh time if it was chipped. friends say its 225kw. no extractors. today i took the rear reso off and put a 3inch end on it. sounds good bit loud though... anyway

omg. I am not a mechanic. do not have tools or the space to service etc.
just had the auto trans,diff full service tune etc. Put some of those plugs that have the 4 bitz on and omg. The transmission took 18 litres of oil. The diff oil was milky never been done before the mechanic said. I believe him.
did all the belts,full cooling system flush,and spec tune. mecahnic said great car. I drove a new ss today. Very smooth nice but $$$$50K. My car seems to have similar feel???/ In a few years I might be able to get one of those ss but until then I will keep dreaming...

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
scooterjohansen said:
this a a WA car. How then can I tell if it is really chipped without going on the dyno?...
pull the chip out and read the label

scooterjohansen said:
what would be the 0-100kmh time if it was chipped. friends say its 225kw. no extractors.
173 kw, its a standard 5.0l

scooterjohansen said:
The transmission took 18 litres of oil.
why did you change the trans oil so many times????? it only takes 10litres from a dry fill?!?!?

scooterjohansen said:
The diff oil was milky never been done before the mechanic said. I believe him.
maybe the service schedule hadnt required it to be changed?

S

scooterjohansen

Thanks

I am a lucky guy. I am happy with this car and see the potential for a supercharger. If it took 18 litres of oil to the get it the way it is then so be it. I have to be careful not to spin the wheels as I wanna get the most out of these tyres.I took the standard resonator off and fitted a s/steel 3" tail pipe. It is heaps louder then before. The exhaust guy says a sports system would be cool,however I am liking the way it is really smooth and still fairly quiet.
I think servicing is very important and to minimise damage take precautions and use fresh oil. I think 'running in' the oil helps a lot. Linelocks are more fun with fresh oil.
What is the top speed one could expect out of a standard VT 5.0L?????

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
I knowI posted elswhere but...

I' got my VT2 9C1 with 495ks o the clock ex-olympic fleet. After the first oil change Mobil 1 since. Optimax alll the time. Had a chatter kit on the diff with the V8 diff oil. Kept using the Bendix ultimates on the front despite the rotor changes.

Have just had a power steering pump changed. I got cruise put on it. And had some rear end bearings and handbrake work done. All through the same dealer depsite their prices. Now 100,00 Kms this month after buying it new in Dec 2000.

Not all 9C1 are treated the same. Thta's all you have to remember. Some guys flog and some treat them with the respect they deserve. Therefore inspect adn test like any second hand car.
Tell your insurer everything you have on it and get confirmation from GMH. You'll get a better replacement value.
You cannot get extended Warranty if it was used a a Police or Emergency Car

V

vsxchaser

my vs x chaser

Joshy said:
Just wondering what everyone thinks about the quality of ex police cars. A good mate of mine works for the police and recently got a new SS to drive around. He used to be driving an XR8 and he reckons he wouldnt recommend anyone buying it as an ex police car from auction. Not that they flog them all the time but for the fact that they are run 24 hrs a day almost. When one shift finishes with it, the next shift jump straight in and head off. Driven like that for a good 2 years or something depending on the station but yeah they're not exactly looked after.

He admits that they flog it a bit when they dont have much to do also.

People with ex police cars (or those with an opinion) what do you think or how have yours gone?
hey bloke ive had my vs for bout a year and seems to b goin good im told that it runs a 14.8 down the 1/4 mile but havnt had the chance to try that out yet ive had some probs with the lsd though it doesnt work well with my 17s but put 15s on it and its great
do u have any idea how to tell the difference btween an ss and a x chaser

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
It will still have the BT1 or 9C1 badge on the chassis plate.