Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust and LS1 edit questions

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
Hi all...I have been told that doing the LS1 edit halves your engine life...For those that have had it done, what are your thoughts...I am currently in the stages of looking at getting a VY SS 11 and doing exhaust, LS1 edit CAI, but have been told by someone who had an LS1 edit done 6 months ago that his piston rings are fried..3 years ago he rebuilt the engine under warranty issues...So i am ssuming its the LS1 edit, as that all the mods he has done..Plus exhaust...What are your thoughts guys...

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Doing burnouts & other forms of abuse can halve your engine life. I think an incorrect tune can also affect engine life. A proper edit done well should actually help the engine as combustion is optimized.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Cruzey said:
Hi all...I have been told that doing the LS1 edit halves your engine life...For those that have had it done, what are your thoughts...I am currently in the stages of looking at getting a VY SS 11 and doing exhaust, LS1 edit CAI, but have been told by someone who had an LS1 edit done 6 months ago that his piston rings are fried..3 years ago he rebuilt the engine under warranty issues...So i am ssuming its the LS1 edit, as that all the mods he has done..Plus exhaust...What are your thoughts guys...
It all comes down to the tune, if you stick with a reputable tuner who knows his stuff (Chipmaster, PT, G&D, HPF, etc) there wont be a problem in the world.
Im sure OLS108 or Delco can eleberate more.
AirStrike :air:

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
I am pretty sure he got the job done at Sam's performance....and they are pretty reputable....Has anyone who has done the LS1 noticed any damage to there engine...Don't get me wrong...I am not trying to be negative, just curious...

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
NO Getting your car Tuned will Not do anything to the Engine Life As long as its Looked after With oil and such.
LIMO LS1 had an edit on his Caprice and Clocked up 500,000k's :yeah: .
an edit can sometimes cause the rear tyres to wear Pretty quickly tho ;)

delco

EFITUNER
Reaction score
Website
www.chipmaster.com.au
Members Ride
V2 Monaro A4
Getting a PCM tune done will not shorten the life of your motor , it can in fact prolong it as t will now not have to have the ring reved out of it to get it to go properly.

A mafless tune is where we remove the MAF (mass airflow sensor) and use the MAP ( manifold absolute pressure sensor) that is at the back of the manifold for fuel control - much the same as the VN-VS did. This is a lot harder to tune as there are more load points that need to be addressed to get the tune done properly , we also change the coding in the computer to allow dual spark, programable AFR tables , valet mode and a heap of other enhancements that Holden didnt think of when doing there development - they never though us guys would want to put blowers , 8 throttle manifolds etc on these cars :yeah:

Exhaust by itself wont normally give any gains but it does allow the potential for a tuner to get some real good gains out of the car - not just top end but all over.

SQP1BCI7.gif

GO and see a good tuner - you wont be dissapointed , or get a good quality mail order tune if the budget is a little tight.

Mail order tune

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
Hey delco..Thanks heaps for the info...It has been really handy and has answered all my questions...

korny

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss crewman
hey guys, got a quick question for any1 who mite no, ive got a vyss crewman with growler air induction twin 2 1/2 exhaust, extractors and high flow cats aswell as maf tune,i made 209 rwkw is this any good for the modifications i have and if i wanted to gain more power with out stuffing up the tune i just got what could i get done
thanks

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
hey guys, got a quick question for any1 who mite no, ive got a vyss crewman with growler air induction twin 2 1/2 exhaust, extractors and high flow cats aswell as maf tune,i made 209 rwkw is this any good for the modifications i have and if i wanted to gain more power with out stuffing up the tune i just got what could i get done
thanks

yes, remove the air reduction kit youve had installed, and invest in a quality Mafless Tune. Nothing more to say.....

korny

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss crewman
ive been told crewmans are having trouble with mafless tunes dont no if this is right but they also said if it is tuned properly there is not much difference between a maf and mafless tune maybe a couple of kws which is not noticeable due to the heavy weight of the v8 commodores