Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust cut outs

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Getting some Kingdigit exhaust cut outs, they need to be hard wired and a switch put into the cabin. Got the exhaust place fitting it and hard wiring it. Thought id come on here and ask if anyone has some ideas on which way is the best to hard wire it and best way to put in the cabin without drilling holes. Also when its hard wired would it throw off any codes?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Has your SSV Redline have Bi Modals?

Thomas_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Not much help but I enjoyed this vid

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Not much help but I enjoyed this vid

That has to be just about the most comprehensive exhaust vid I've seen.

To my ear, mufflers open / cut outs closed had the best sound.

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Naw 3inch full exhaust. Keen to get them though. Takes a fair bit of time as there made to order, then to ship from us to aus

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
That has to be just about the most comprehensive exhaust vid I've seen.

To my ear, mufflers open / cut outs closed had the best sound.
Yes totally agree with you. Cutout closed sound good

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Isn't mufflers open / cutouts closed the OEM solution?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Do the cutouts exhaust get plumbed to the rear of the vehicle? Or do they simply dump exhaust under the car where carbon monoxide can seep into the cabin and possibly, permanently, put someone to sleep?

Heck even on a track exhaust gasses are plumbed away from the vehicle.

Compromising safety for an unmuffled sound seems somewhat juvenile. And I’m rather sure it’s also illegal from a safety perspective.

Sound wise, I like the open muffler closed cutout sound... which is the standard bimodal solution.

As is, the standard muffler is a straight through design with the bimodal valves open, so I’d thing a new 3” exhaust that mimics/caries through a bimodal muffler (with a customer bimodal switch as some have installed) would be a better safer solution.

PS: I used the word juvenile in part because this site states in step 5: Press switch to close the cutouts and return to "normal" mature behavior. In part because I think it’s also juvenile.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Do the cutouts exhaust get plumbed to the rear of the vehicle? Or do they simply dump exhaust under the car where carbon monoxide can seep into the cabin and possibly, permanently, put someone to sleep?

Heck even on a track exhaust gasses are plumbed away from the vehicle.

Compromising safety for an unmuffled sound seems somewhat juvenile. And I’m rather sure it’s also illegal from a safety perspective.

Sound wise, I like the open muffler closed cutout sound... which is the standard bimodal solution.

As is, the standard muffler is a straight through design with the bimodal valves open, so I’d thing a new 3” exhaust that mimics/caries through a bimodal muffler (with a customer bimodal switch as some have installed) would be a better safer solution.

PS: I used the word juvenile in part because this site states in step 5: Press switch to close the cutouts and return to "normal" mature behavior. In part because I think it’s also juvenile.

I couldn't get the 'Chevy Drops' on my LX Torana (4 door) passed by my the Engineer and they were dumping out behind the rear tyres because of exhaust fume concerns.

I had to add pipes to exit the rear bumper and after it was passed I had the 'Chevy Drops' reinstalled.

I can't say I've ever smelt exhaust gases but at least they exit out of the side of the vehicle and not under it.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
guess that depends where you add the cutouts.
ive seen vids in the US where they would cutout not much past where the cats would be, and ive seen some in Aus where they fit quite nicely right at the rear muffler (was that someone on here?). but i think the common point is usually around the rear diff.