Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust modification - XForce merge out, H-pipe in?

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
H pipes are the simplistic form of equalization to take out the rasp of individual pipes. It's old school. The X pipe is newer and helps reduce drone and rasp and is good for a few make HP at the top of the rev range. H pipe gives a deeper note than X pipe. That's probably why manta is liked.

For me X pipe works well and gives me the sound level I prefer
I had noisy cars in the 80s when I was a young spud. Now it's the quietest it can be without hurting power. Of course it's nice to hear that V8 note

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
DiFillipo actually do a good version of it by only having a small hole between the two pipes.

I believe that DF xpipe are a restriction, after 2 years of owning a mild steel system the only part where the paint had burned off was at the xpipe.

To me that says big restriction as gasses are heating the piping up...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I believe that DF xpipe are a restriction, after 2 years of owning a mild steel system the only part where the paint had burned off was at the xpipe.

To me that says big restriction as gasses are heating the piping up...

Exactly right. But the restriction created is also a location issue than the actual X pipe. It's too close to the engine. But you are right, that design is restrictive because you can't avoid reducing the diameter of the pipe at the X.

Nate_L98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0 Thunder Ute
I just had the x-pipe removed & replaced with straight pipes, I don't really care if it lost any power, it sounds so much better :)

mister stato

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 wh statesman
Hey guys just wondering if any one might have a similar system or any constructive feed back on the system im about to describe. On my ls1 at the moment i have a twin 2.25 inch mandrel bent system that merges into a single 3 inch at where the factory twin mufflers used to reside straight into a 3 inch hot and a large barrel resonator before the tip. The idea im playing with is adding a H pipe further up the system most likely around where holden had theirs. I guess my questions are is there any point putting an H pipe in a conjoining system? will it give me more torque? ( as i think it feels to have less since putting this system on ) and finally will it change the sound and in what way...

Cheers Jayp

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Your system is a V6 system. It's not suited to an LS1 unless the merge is around the diff like factory. Having the pipes come together to close to the engine is a restriction. A H pipe will make no difference.

mister stato

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 wh statesman
Ah well that sucks! The merge is just before the diff, it merges in to a single in at pretty much the same spot as where the factory twin mufflers used to hang... In essence its very similar to the design of the factory system but instead of the twin mufflers underneath they are deleted and this is where the exhausts merge to 3 inch and literally staright in to a hot dog before snaking its way up to a barrel muffler and out the back. I notice that the factory system i pulled off also merges in to a single although it does so after the diff but thing is it does have a H pipe which is what got me thinking....