Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust set up for cammed ss ute

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
If you want to cam it dont get the kpm 2.5" im not happy with mine , its loud enough but idle sounds ****

I must admit, at idle it's not the best but everywhere else is excellent. I was toying with the idea of also changing to 3" but i'm afraid it would be too loud.
I'm considering experimenting with some other mufflers on mine to sort out the shitty flutter that it gets at idle but i'm thinking only a 3" will solve that problem. :(

Last edited:

scott w

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS and 2010 CX captiva
yeah im in the same basket as is stonex , i dont want it any louder but want the nice lumpy idle not the flutter lump lump flutter flutter **** im putting up with , was told it was because the cam is largish but stonex's cam is a fair bit smaller and still does it , so i have lost all faith in kpm and will be selling it and going diffillipo .

RUF-60L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
my question is, why are all of u running 2.5" with cams? im not gonna pretend that i know alot about cars, but when i was shopping for exhausts, i was told the difference power wise between 2.5 and 3 was nothing, but if u were gonna change ur cam or run FI, 3" is what is recommended. maybe thats what is causing ur weird noises at idle maybe its a little restrictive or something like that? i dunno, just a guess

scott w

Reaction score
Members Ride
Theres not a lot to be gained with a cammed engine from going from 2.5" to 3" other than more attention from the cops

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Theres not a lot to be gained with a cammed engine from going from 2.5" to 3" other than more attention from the cops

Exactly why i'm nervous about the prospect of going 3".
The way i see it, i'm not chasing huge power gains so going 3" to iron out a flutter issue only is a bit silly in my book. I reckon i'll talk to my local exhaust guru here and let him play around a bit with mine to see if he can come up with a solution.

RUF-60L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
havent been pulled over....yet. unless ur driving around at 6k rpm all the time, i dont see how ud get THAT much attention

scott w

Reaction score
Members Ride
havent been pulled over....yet. unless ur driving around at 6k rpm all the time, i dont see how ud get THAT much attention
i have had the 3" kpm pre slc system on my car prior to going to the 2.5 system as it wasnt what i wanted i sold it , very loud , boomed thru the car and felt like i couldnt drive the car as i was looking around for cops all the time as i could see me getting a defect , would be good to hear one of gregs systems ( sureflo )

RUF-60L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
yeah, i have a vid in my ride thread, but doesnt do it justice, so just come to sydney lmao :p

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
A 3" will get you a higher dyno reading but that's about it. Driveability is a lot better with 2 1/2".

The best way to get the lumpy note and get rid of any flutter is to remove any type of balance tube you have, ie: H pipe or X merge. Anything that connects one side to the other. What you are hearing is the pulse from the opposite bank in between each pulse from that bank.

Sounds best when both sides are completely separate, but the trade off is a bit of bottom end torque. Not that much though.