Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust tone problems

S

Sirius096

Exhaust note problems

93 VR Berlina Auto V6
2.5" mandrel bent Redback from cat back, stock cat, Pacemaker extractors.

Now, the problem is: the exhaust note cuts out in high (well, 3000+) revs. The tone from 0-3000 is deep and grunty, but it reaches a point where the tone ceases to manifest from the rear, and raucous engine noise dominates.
What could cause this problem? I don't have a hiflow cat, but I really doubt the cat has anything to do with it... I could be completely wrong, though!
If anyone has similar problems, or just any general advice I would appreciate it!

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Mine does the same thing with just a 2.5" catback system. At idle its not loud, revving from 1k-3k sounds nice, but after that the "deep" sound disappears. :(

S

Sirius096

Yeah. Mine did it before I put the extractors on, too... extractors helped for another 200 or so revs only. :(

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
ive got the same prob

yeah the same **** is hapening to me ive got 2.5 inch cat back exhaust and no extractors. at idle its sounds like a stock exhaust

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
its completely normal.

as mine does it and majority others does too.

Banno

A Ute is your destinty...
Reaction score
Website
shanebannisterphotography.com
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Unless you spend a bit more and go a custom exhaust, not just a bolt on you'll find that it will always do it... Part of the deal

I made mine yesterday... Extractors into Twin Cats back into a 2.5" semi-stainless, ressy with 3" inlet to rear muffler

Sounds deep through all revs and really barks over 3000rpm

Very happy indeed!!
Glad I didn't go for a lukey or redback bolt up with fibreglass mufflers...

:D

S

Sirius096

Banno said:
Unless you spend a bit more and go a custom exhaust, not just a bolt on you'll find that it will always do it... Part of the deal

I made mine yesterday... Extractors into Twin Cats back into a 2.5" semi-stainless, ressy with 3" inlet to rear muffler

Sounds deep through all revs and really barks over 3000rpm

Very happy indeed!!
Glad I didn't go for a lukey or redback bolt up with fibreglass mufflers...

:D

I see. I guess thats my next step then... I was going to wait until I could get a blower (long time away) to change the exhaust, but I want a better note!
Thanks for the help.

P

phracta

I'm looking to buy some Genie Extractors with a 2.5 redback system with hiflo cat etc.
Thing I'm having trouble with is the tip. Want it to look shiny and big and I'm looking for some recommendations to finish the system. Driving me insane cuz I don't want an expensive system with a **** note and I haven't had much experience with a VS/V6 before. Any help would be appreciated as I would like to fit it soon.

PS. does anyone have a rice boy cannon fitted to the rear. Do they sound crud?