Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust upgrade on AFM models-back pressure question??

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Hi Guys,

I know there are many threads on exhaust upgrades etc etc but what im interested to know is when the AFM kicks in obviously there will be drone to a point with an upgraded cat back, but while its in this mode "4 cyl" is there enough back pressure to be running through the bigger 2.5inch pipe?

Reason i ask is a "few people" i have spoken to have said lack of back pressure can cause damage to the transmission?

cheers for any insight

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
And we start with the old 'back pressure' debate again.

ssavage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 9.5
Ive got a ssv with afm and have 1 3/4 extractors high flow cats and a 2 1/2 inch stainless sysyem with otr and a tune. When they did my tune i got them to deactivate afm so no more shiity 4 clynder mode...easy way to avoid drone if ya ask me

gsssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
ssv ute
I've got an Ve SSV Ute with AFM its got pacemakers Hi Flow Cats and 2 1/2 inch system it sounds great and no drone on the Hwy the afm kicks in and if you dont watch the screen for the 8 cyl mode or 4cyl mode you wouldnt even know its as quiet as the standard system at 100 kms unless you kick it. BUT the check engine light comes on I get it reset and it comes back the O2 sensor problem does anyone know how to fix this???

3onTree

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline Sportswagon
Walkinshaw guys deactivate the AFM when you go for the 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust

Not an expert by any measure, might be of interest to know that when upgrading the exhaust, the Walkinshaw guys suggest a remap of the ECU as well, deactivating AFM and changing ignition parameters. Argument is that there is a degree of efficiency increase which will save you more by way of fuel efficiency in the real world than switching your 8 into a 4. Don't believe the hype, all this AFM business is there to address the guilt factor that society heaps onto prospective V8 buyers. Fact is you can be a gas guzzler in a 4 pot just as you can in a V8. It all comes down to how much power you create by flexing your right foot. My new SSV Redline does not have a single V8 badge on it anywhere and has this green emblem in the back to keep the hippies from throwing tofu at you. My friend at Holden tells me that one of the biggest challenges for product marketing is challenging the public view that V8 drivers are environmental terrorists. Which is ignorance in the highest degree. I am rambling.... ditch your AFM its the work of Marketing (read the Devil).