Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Expected Power/Torque Figures?

LM8185

293.7rwkw/577.9nm VZ SSZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
I have a 2005 VZ SSZ with the T56 backed 5.7L LS1 V8. Current mods are 4into1 Pacemaker 1&3/4 extractors, 100CPI stainless cats, 2&1/2" stainless X-Force catback exhaust with rear resonator removed, VCM OTR and maf retained custom tune. I have ported 241 CNC Higgins heads and a Camtech 216/226 112 camshaft package going in and the car is due back hopefully on Tuesday or Wednesday. My question is can anyone give me a rough idea of the power/torque figures I could expect from these modifications coupled with the head/cam package? I have searched countless cam upgrade threads on several forums and can't really find much info on my cam mentioned. On paper the VCM 21 (217/225 .600" .578" 113 lsa) looks similar to the Camtech (216/226 .600" .598" 112 lsa) with my limited knowledge of cams so can anyone confirm or disprove that they are similar and therefore I could expect similar numbers? I know that track times are what's important, but I am still curious as to what numbers should be achievable with this setup? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
depends on how happy the dyno is and how the tuner straps it down, diff gears etc.

on average you would expect about 270rwkwish especially if your running stock injectors but considering alot of tuners fudge the figures i wouldn't be surprised if they bullshit and tell you 290-330rwkw.

LM8185

293.7rwkw/577.9nm VZ SSZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Its running standard (on the SSZ models) 3.73:1 diff gears. Its a Mainline dyno that I got my previous figures on (201rwkw with just the catback and 225.3rwkw with the same catback plus VCM OTR and custom maf tune) and from what I've heard the Mainlines are the most accurate. The tuner doing the install does a live tune, and the dyno I use (not at the same workshop as the work) has always been the same dyno and operator and that won't change when I put it on after the upgrade package. I would hope because of that the dyno operator has nothing to gain from "fudging the numbers" as he's not done any of the work so really has more to gain by low balling it to make the other tuner look bad to try and gain work for himself.

Last edited:

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Can't fudge a mainline, probs get to the 280-290rwkw depending how many cc's were taken off the heads

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Can't fudge a mainline, probs get to the 280-290rwkw depending how many cc's were taken off the heads

you can fudge any dyno figures, don't strap it down properly or too much, don't tell the dyno what diff gears the car is running and dozens of other things you can do to make it higher or lower.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman

you can fudge any dyno figures, don't strap it down properly or too much, don't tell the dyno what diff gears the car is running and dozens of other things you can do to make it higher or lower.
Yep, depends on whether the run is done in the correct gear. Some of the newer boxes don't have a 1:1 4th gear so the dyno operator needs to input a correction value for that too (not too uncommon for that to be overlooked).

LM8185

293.7rwkw/577.9nm VZ SSZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
So a slight change, I just spoke to the tuner and he's run some numbers and based on the change in compression with the ported heads, and a few other things I don't quite understand if I'm being completely honest, plus the fact it's a manual running 3.73:1 diff gears already he's changing the cam profile to a 224/228 which he said should run some really good numbers. Any thoughts on that? Quite a few people have said the 216/226 was too small for the combination and the tuner obviously agrees as he has said that the 224/228 should work really well.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Get LS7 lifters and change em while the heads are off.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
If you keep it under 230 its considered baby/mild and when done right makes the most fun street cam, 222i/228e .609/.613 lift LSA 114+ is better IMO keeps its a bit stealth in terms of mass lope, still sounds good, 115.5 LSA been my pick as its the stock lobe Separation angle.
Get a new timing chain and make sure they dial the cam in and advance it 2 degrees.

LM8185

293.7rwkw/577.9nm VZ SSZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
The reason we are doing the heads is cos the lifters were being done anyway so seeing as they were off figured why not, sort of the opposite of what you suggested but with the same result. I only wanted a mild cam as it's literally a daily driver, to and from work, kids to school, full on daily, not just sees the street occasionally. That said I wanted it to sound like it was cammed, and with a 112lsa it should. I just wish I had it back already. I got really wet riding the CBR today... Haha.