Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Extending fuel economy

R

Roh

Hi all, I get about 700-750km from a tank of 98 Octane fuel (only takes 60l but guage says empty) and was wondering if there was any way of improving the fuel economy. I know this range isn't bad but 1000k's per tank would be a lot better!! Can it be done without hurting the engine?

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
Roh said:
Hi all, I get about 700-750km from a tank of 98 Octane fuel (only takes 60l but guage says empty) and was wondering if there was any way of improving the fuel economy. I know this range isn't bad but 1000k's per tank would be a lot better!! Can it be done without hurting the engine?

700-750 is good economy what more do you want? i think the new volkswagon golfs get about a 1000 k's to a tank

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
I get 400-450 per tank.. or per 65-60 litres anyway. Mostly local driving.

Steven M

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX BERLINA S2 V6
BTW, the standard VT/VX tank is 75 litres, and if your getting 700km per tank your getting better fuel economy than a lot of ppl here.

grimavxs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S2
I'm with Spyder..

I get approx 420-440km on a full tank of Optimax Extreme - local driving and a bit of hooning :)

700-750 is unreal! u should be happy with that

R

Roh

Yes I realise i'm getting good mileage from the car (700km from 60l = 8.5l/100km) and i know the tank is 75 litres but I'm never game enough to keep running it down once the needle is right past empty. Therefore if i did use the whole 75 litres at the above consumption rate, i'd get about 880km between fuel stops.
Don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining about my consumption, in fact i'm very happy with it, but i was just wondering if there was anything else that could be done to improve an already good consumption rate.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I thought only the V8s had the 75litre fuel tanks, there you go. Well my GenIII gets about 560km out on the highway. Haven't had a full tank around town yet. So don't know about local driving as of yet. But as in litres per 100km, my VN V6 was no better then my V8 so I am still cheering.

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
I can get 850 to 900k’s out of a tank if I do a big run out west and fill up the tank with fresh fuel a couple of times. around town i get 600 to 700k's

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I get about 500 maximum, and that's from granny footing.. It's also off 98 RON petrol.. I get about 400-450 generally of a tank of LPG..

What you're getting is awesome.. But if you want to improve it more..

1. Don't carry anything in your car.. Remove the seats, spare tyre, jack, head unit, air bags and all that other useless stuff..

2. Keep your tyres inflated properly..

3. Try not to get above 3000RPM's.. Don't be afraid to granny foot..

4. Use cruise whenever sensible..

5. Coast upto traffic lights, try not to stop, just ease upto them and ease away from them

6. Fit a better CAI, get the engine breathing better.. DIY or buy a kit..

7. If you're still not happy with you're fuel consumption.. Buy another car..

There's heaps more of these tips.. Forget em.. You're probably doing most of them to get 700km from a tank..

Bgrade

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Executive S2
Shounak said:
1. Don't carry anything in your car.. Remove the seats, spare tyre, jack, head unit, air bags and all that other useless stuff..

Imagine you did take the air bags out to try and improve fuel economy, then died because your airbag wasn't there in an accident. I'd rather have **** fuel economy, lol