Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Extractors - VK

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
I was just reading that I should get them 2nd hand off a wreckr, but I dont want to be ripped off.. can someone give me a ROUGH price to look for?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I sold secondhand a modified set of genuine extractors flanged painted in 1500deg heat proof silver paint, 2.5" pipe with a baffeled 2.5"muffler and hotdog and 2.5" stainless end, with a spare barely used 2.5" sports muffler for $300 a few months ago.

I wouldnt pay over $100 for a good set of genuine EFI VK extractors.

Borndead

Reaction score
Don't know about second hand but i bought new pacemakers for my VK for $300 from autobarn about 2 years ago, bloody thing sits real close to my starter motor.

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
Thanks for the tips everyone, will look into getting them now :)

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
holdens suk ass said:
But why would u bother?

Because I want to, if you dont like holdens that isnt my problem ;)

hotholdens.com

Reaction score
I got the extractors for my torana for $50 from u-pull-it, which is a selve serve wrecking yard in south australia.. you just pull the bits off you need and go pay..

i sprayed them with the same sort of paint vkberlina used a few months ago, but its now starting to burn a little bit....

so much for heat proof!

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I had the set on my 202 painted for 2 years with only very slight discoloration. I used VHT 1500degF heatproof paint.

Preparation is everything with the paint

You must like anything your going to paint prepare it properly I used a wirebrush on mine especially around welds etc Next I dry sanded my pipes with 400 (can use 600)freecut.
Next wipe them down with Wax & grease (prepsol) remover and wipe off residure immediately with a clean rag. I repeat the process wtih another 2 clean rags.

Prior to painting I shake the can and heat the can to around 50-60deg and shake the can upside down vigorously prior to painting

Next begin painting I start with edges and welds giving them a very thin light coat once it startes to tack up I give them another light coat and let it tack up.

Next I give the complete extractors another light coat and let it tack up. After all that the paint should only be just seethough except for the edges, now I give it a heavier coat paying particular attention to hard to reach parts first

next allow todry for a while and you can paint again, I end up using a ocmplete can on my extractors. When I painted the exhaust for my 5L I used 5 cans of paint & another one to do a few touchups where they have been marked from workingon the car.

Also when refitting the extractorsi suggest using clean gloves &/or wrap them up any greasy marks on them will affect the paint, also if the car has oil leaks etc it will affect the paint if it gets on it.

cheers
Scott