Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Extreme Weather!

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
well over 48 degrees on my verandah today. the thermometer catches both easterly & SW winds, but misses everything else. tomorrow will be even hotter imo. Maximum temperature will probably hit 45, making it the hottest Perth day in a long time

We had a 42° two years ago here in Canberra.
But recently it's been hot but the BOM has said we've barely gone past 30?
My temp gauge showed 35° on Monday, I never checked yesterday but the BOM said 28°¿
I think it's higher humidity.
In the past my temp gauge which is my multi meter with a long probe has always been within half a degree of the BOM.
It feels just as hot as high 30's but the temps are low 30's¿

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Workin in Coober this week digging in ground fire. 40 yesterday, 43 Sunday, humidity in the single digits.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Temperature in Perth has already surpassed the 41 predicted by the Australian bureau of meteorology. Either these people are extremely incompetent or they lie to appease climate change deniers. Unless we get a sea breeze in the next 2 hours, temps will hit a record high.
Lol... The temperature has magically dropped by 2 degrees Celsius in 10 minutes

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Temperature in Perth has already surpassed the 41 predicted by the Australian bureau of meteorology. Either these people are extremely incompetent or they lie to appease climate change deniers. Unless we get a sea breeze in the next 2 hours, temps will hit a record high.
Depends on where and how you are measuring the temperature as to how accurate it is. Also the BOM are dealing with a complex system (the climate) which is chaotic so it’s very difficult to predict what it’s going to do with 100% accuracy.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It also depends on where temperature measurements are taken. Temperatures taken in cities tend to be higher than more open urban centres. Topography can have a great influence as well.

Typically the temperatures we see at our house are higher than what is forecast for our location. The closest Met service weather measuring location to us is Auckland airport which is located next to a harbour and experiences quite different weather even though we are only about 10km away as the crow flies.

I was seriously considering buying a fancy weather station to have at home but after reading the instructions for mounting location I'm wasting my time. We have too many trees and structures around to get accurate readings for wind and rain as well as temperature (potential heat soak for surrounding structures).

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Down to 37.4 now. What's the bet when I go outside it'll still be stinking hot (been in air conditioning all morning)? The sea breeze will die down & temperatures will probably rise again.
Recording stations are scattered around Perth. The one at the airport is still showing 44.5, but it's inland & surrounded by arid land. I used to work in a warehouse right next to it bloody awful on days like today.
I don't have much confidence in my "weather station", which is a cheap & shitty electronic one.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
We got 2mm of rain this morning. That's extreme. Had one day of rain (28mm) during January.
Usually watching the news of metres of rain and floods in other areas of Aus.
If it wasn't for the cloud cover and humidly over the past few weeks, our grass would be chips.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The one at the airport is still showing 44.5,

My work is on the other side of the Great Eastern Hwy bypass.

I thought it felt hot when I went outside earlier.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
We got 2mm of rain this morning. That's extreme. Had one day of rain (28mm) during January.
Usually watching the news of metres of rain and floods in other areas of Aus.
If it wasn't for the cloud cover and humidly over the past few weeks, our grass would be chips.

Perth has had a total of 13.4 mm since the end of September, with nothing since the end of November.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Perth has had a total of 13.4 mm since the end of September, with nothing since the end of November.
I know it doesn't rain in Perth, sunny one day, dry the next, windy the day after.

I was putting it into perspective with other parts of NSW and QLD over the past 2 months.
Central Coast, Sydney and South Coast > Heavy rain and floods.
Coffs Harbour and North Coast > Heavy rain and floods.
Brisbane, Gold Coast and out to Toowoomba > Heavy rain and floods.
Draw a line between Mt. Isa and Brisbane > Heavy rain and floods anywhere Northeast.
Newcastle and Hunter area > Just hot ( 30* to low 40*s) and sticky sweaty humid.

And if our good citizens and tourists don't get their car written off in the floods, they drown in the surf or rivers.