Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

factory door grommits' VT

DarkCrystal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim V6
Well the thing that completely ****ed me was this... i started my installation on the driverside rear door... the wires from the speakers to the connector were all the same colour... but the colours were completely different on the inside of the car... so i removed the grommet/plug, found they were different, cut the correct ones and drilled a whole through the plug and ran new wires. Funny enough all the other doors matched though.. I woud most likely have kept the factory wires other wise.. but to sound like an egg, at least i know it looks 'cooler' under the door skins.. ha ha :D

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
lol @ cooler under door skins.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i surprised that you all giveit so much thought. i jusy buy the wire for the main bits and it theres enough then great, otherwise who cares!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
It's because stores and friends tell them that they NEED larger wire, most people would just change it without asking on here because they believe whoever told them.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
i just upgraded n put some splits in the fronts, i was originally gonna try put new wire through the rubber boot wen i 1st put my speakers in but **** that 2 much hassle, i ended up cuttin the wire behind the looms where the rubber boot joins into the car soldered new wire in and ran them down the sides like normal, so 2day i put my crossovers in the boot so all i had 2 do was run new wire 4 the tweeters down the sides under the sills that was really as hard as it got.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
the main problem with the stock wire is the amount of stands and the possibility of the strands breaking.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
The possibility of breaking should be next to nothing. Wire is going to break if it is stressed. Installation shouldnt be that tough on the wire, and once it is installed, it shouldnt be stressed during its life at all. The mains wire in your house is signal core. Single core wire is easier and therefore cheaper to make. If the wire isnt going to be stressed, single core is going to do the exact same job for less $.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
door constantly opening and closing.
also there is the skin effect to consider with single core and larger power.
(plus single core is a **** to work with under a dash!)

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Geez I wish I knew earlier that large speaker wire was not necessary the whole way! :bang:

Mine's installed now with big wire all the way from the amp, through the grommets and to the speaker. I just thought I'd share how I did it, incase you still really want to do it that way.

I got a piece of coathanger wire about 20cm long and on one end I bent it round 360 degrees and clamped it down hard onto one end of the speaker wire. So in effect it was kinda like a sewing needle & thread. The coathanger wire is flexible enough to bend into tight spots but still hard enough to push through the grommet.

There was still a fair bit of cursing involved, but yeah, it's definitely do-able if that's what floats your boat! :thumbsup:

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
door constantly opening and closing.
also there is the skin effect to consider with single core and larger power.

Skin effect has no real relevance to audio applications, even at 20khz (talking fractions of db loss at these frequencies. Lower freq's are even less effected)