Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Factory VT SS wheel colour match

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Hi guys,

I know there are some old threads around this topic but they seemed inconclusive.

My VT SS wheels have minor rash and I am wanting to restore them so they look like they did the day they left the factory. A refinish will be required but it seems there is no known paint code.

A previous thread suggested they are factory powder coated but I’m not sure how accurate this is?

Does anyone have experience with matching this wheel colour or have any suggestions?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Don't think they were powder coated.....

Maybe a panel shop or paint supplier might be able to colour match the wheels by using one as a template...But bare in mind, you will probably have to get all 4 or 5 done if you are picky...

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There is no paint code for the rims. You could end up spending over $400 by the time you mix and spray out a number of samples getting a match.

I went through this and ended up choosing a silver I liked which was a 1970s Holden silver and painted all four.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
I have a list of 9 paint codes and names for VT-VX era wheels, mostly HSV. I don't know what a VT SS rim looks like or most of the codes to know if it's even listed. Silver sounds good for silver wheels. Anything a bit fancy can be colour matched or more worried about matching as obvious when off.

I had a 50th VS Statesman in a previous life, are they VT SS rims? As in, there was no other rim option? The 17" 5-spokes with the mini half spokes? They were silver :)
I still have the publicity material and some of the finer detail paperwork where it lists all the fancy paint options, accent codes, special surround and trim paint accents, all called out in detail that no one would know or notice, wheels....silver alloy lol. Even they weren't bothered.

Hi Ho Silver was used in that era and looks similar in pics. ATA7B (47376). But yeah, then you find out the pics were something else and the mixed sample doesn't match what it was meant to either. And if you use BCS to paint match, you definitely won't get a match.

https://bcsautopaints.com.au/produc...GNPzUtaqGLbK1mUdJu-LameBwBcQ2dMEaAhYqEALw_wcB

Last edited:

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
I have a list of 9 paint codes and names for VT-VX era wheels, mostly HSV. I don't know what a VT SS rim looks like or most of the codes to know if it's even listed. Silver sounds good for silver wheels. Anything a bit fancy can be colour matched or more worried about matching as obvious when off.

I had a 50th VS Statesman in a previous life, are they VT SS rims? As in, there was no other rim option? The 17" 5-spokes with the mini half spokes? They were silver :)
I still have the publicity material and some of the finer detail paperwork where it lists all the fancy paint options, accent codes, special surround and trim paint accents, all called out in detail that no one would know or notice, wheels....silver alloy lol. Even they weren't bothered.

Hi Ho Silver was used in that era and looks similar in pics. ATA7B (47376). But yeah, then you find out the pics were something else and the mixed sample doesn't match what it was meant to either. And if you use BCS to paint match, you definitely won't get a match.

https://bcsautopaints.com.au/produc...GNPzUtaqGLbK1mUdJu-LameBwBcQ2dMEaAhYqEALw_wcB

Yes the VS Statesman 50th Anniversary wheels you reference are the same.

Hi Ho Silver seems to be used for on the VP GTS wheels. Pics generally look close that’s for sure!

You don’t happen to have that list handy do you?

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
The list for various VT-VX and HSV rims, some are very well-known as being other colours.
Guideline only for ideas, a couple are already in pressure pack form as well if needed to test and allow for variation of same mixed by others. The sheen creates as much of the finish as the colour.

Opel Silver - 4H023
Light Grey - 3H013
HSV Argent (GTO) - 2RMTB
Silver Sparkle - 3GYHB
Hi Ho Silver - ATA7B (47376)
Capri Silver (R8 Champagne) - 354-84259
Platinum Silver - 4J025
Chrome Shadow - 1EJNB
Thunderbird Silver (SV300) - VVM9B

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
This is what l've known the vtss wheels look like?
1690009590761.jpeg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport