Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan/alternator belt keeps slipping off 304 v8 (VN)

seabs

Reaction score
Website
seabrook.homemail.com.au
Members Ride
Gen F R8 SV
Hi guys,

Few months ago my alternator died, so mech. replaced it.

Then a day or 2 later the car over heated, checked, and the alternator /fan belt belt had slipped off.

Took it back in to him, he put a new one on and I asked him to check that the tension was corect. he put new belt on and said it was fine.

Week later, same thing belt comes off, car over heats..

took it in again, they said my harmonic balancer was gone, fair enough as its a common problem, so they replaced that, then about a week later its spat off the belt again!

On the alternator, can you adjust it back and forth? (i.e more towards the back of the car, or more towards the front?)

Cos i have a feeeling the pulleys are slightly out of line.

Any ideas??

seabs

Reaction score
Website
seabrook.homemail.com.au
Members Ride
Gen F R8 SV
yeah i was thinking about that option.

Is it difficult/possible to retain the clutch fan with gilmer drives?

cos i'd either go the twin AU thermos, or gilmers, cant afford both atm.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
either they supplied the wrong alternator (different offset) or maybe ballancer isn't all the way on the crankshaft

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Take the belt off and have a look at the alignment of your pulleys. You may be able to shim the alternator, I don't think the balancer is the problem, as this has all happened since your alternator was replaced.
Even a gilmer drive has to have good angular alignment, although it can take some parallel misalignment.

krawczuk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Few months ago my alternator died, so mech. replaced it.

Then a day or 2 later the car over heated, checked, and the alternator /fan belt belt had slipped off.

Took it back in to him, he put a new one on and I asked him to check that the tension was corect. he put new belt on and said it was fine.

Week later, same thing belt comes off, car over heats..

took it in again, they said my harmonic balancer was gone, fair enough as its a common problem, so they replaced that, then about a week later its spat off the belt again!

On the alternator, can you adjust it back and forth? (i.e more towards the back of the car, or more towards the front?)

Cos i have a feeeling the pulleys are slightly out of line.

Any ideas??

wouldnt suprise me if they are bosch belts , get some gates belts..
mark k

wez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Could it be as simple as belt not threaded correctly? Worth a double check.

seabs

Reaction score
Website
seabrook.homemail.com.au
Members Ride
Gen F R8 SV
Take the belt off and have a look at the alignment of your pulleys. You may be able to shim the alternator, I don't think the balancer is the problem, as this has all happened since your alternator was replaced.
Even a gilmer drive has to have good angular alignment, although it can take some parallel misalignment.

yeah, i've had a look at the alignment, and to my eye i reckon the alternator pulley is sitting just slightly forward of the other pulleys, not sure but i think they may have shimmed it too much?

either they supplied the wrong alternator (different offset) or maybe ballancer isn't all the way on the crankshaft

Thats a possibility, also, its not a genuine bosch alt.

And wez, its thrown 3 different belts, so it's something out of line or something along that path i think.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Maybe they've supplied a different alternator, maybe somthing they had laying around the workshop and they just changed the pulley wheel on it. If its out of alignment, there is somthing wrong there. You either need a new proper fitting alternator or they have somhow butchered the alternators mounting brackets. At worst i would try another alternator, do you have a mate with the same car you can try.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
yeah, i've had a look at the alignment, and to my eye i reckon the alternator pulley is sitting just slightly forward of the other pulleys, not sure but i think they may have shimmed it too much?

Alternator should bolt in behind the bracket, you should be able to shim it back to get good alignment. Run a piece of string through the pulleys to help you line it up by eye.