Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fan blower repair

jgdogbreath

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX lumina
Hi

just in case anyone else has the same problem. Fan blower (for heater/aircon) stopped working in my Vx Lumina.

Crawl under dash passenger side, remove plug going to fan blower motor, remove plastic cover, and then remove three bolts that hold the blower motor in.

Drop the blower motor out, undo the 2 screws opposite the fan assembly and remove the motor cover. Clean out the innards (mine was covered in grunge, dust, dead bugs etc), reassemble and voila you've saved some $$$. Watch out for the springs and bushes though.

Overall, you should be able to do it in an hour or so.

Always check to see if fuse is blown first, and the resistors. And watch out for the air bag wires (don't touch!!!).

best of luck

DB

Last edited:

Gravy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Thanks for the tip.

Just did the same thing with mine and Im hoping its going to fix the problem, will have to wait until wife gets home tonight though to reinstall it and test.

This is in a VT with no climate control. Blower fan stopped working altogether which was previously working on all speeds up until a few days ago (no speeds available, not even high so Im not expecting it to be the fan speed resistor although havent checked that yet). Tried switching the relay for another one and still didnt crank the fan over, blower fuse in engine bay is intact.

When I switch the console fan switch I can hear the relay click over in the fusebox, but only once I switch it to max. I cant hear the relay click for any of the other speeds. Not sure if this is normal.

Fan motor was full of copper dust and other black dust inside (tip: dont walk in it and get it on your carpet).

There is also a little leaf spring switch inside the motor just under the back metal cover and I gave the little contacts of this switch a light sand as they were quite dirty, open up the contacts slightly and scratch them where they make contact with a screwdriver or very fine file. I think if anything is causing the problem its likely to be this.

Getting the actual fan off the motor so you can pull out the spindle and give it a good clean is harder than it looks with one person as its in quite tight, basically you need to hold onto the plastic fan part and once the fan nut is removed, hit the spindle out of the fan using a small screwdriver and hammer combo, careful not to damage the thread end. Easier with two people as you really need 3 hands for this. The motor section needs to be hanging free whilst you hit the spindle out and are holding onto the plastic fan, just a few inches above the bench will do so you dont damage it when the motor eventually drops out. The spindle goes into the fan about an inch so takes a few good hits to get it out.

Fingers crossed that it works again once I reinstall. It really is quite an uncomfortable position to try and get the fan in and out of so I hope its not all for nothing. I ended up folding the passenger seat right back and laying on my back with my head in the footwell upside down, not good for your back at all. Would be a lot easier if car was on a hoist I guess.

Edit: Just connected it up for quick test and it works :) Yay.

Last edited:

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
cheers guys, will test this out tomoz as fan does not work at all,

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Sorry to high jack the thread but i have noticed over a period of the last few months that my fan is not work as well as it should be setting 1 2 3 seem a bit slow after having the fan on for a few hours of driving (hot weather) turn it off for 10 or so min and it then works ok for a while.... On HI it works all day long not a problem

Does this sound like the resistor switch or the motor getting dirty as mentioned above...

lazerlight1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore 1999
hi guy s just got a question if anyone no s i have a vt commodore 1999 model my aircon works , but come out very slow, you can just feel it if u put your hand over .Is there any way to make it blower faster ? thank s

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Are you saying that it make no difference if you turn up the fan speed?

lazerlight1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore 1999
yes it does go a little fast but not very much at all car still gets cool but takes a

yes it does go a little fast but not very much at all car still gets cool but takes ages...
hi guy s just got a question if anyone no s i have a vt commodore 1999 model my aircon works , but come out very slow, you can just feel it if u put your hand over .Is there any way to make it blower faster ? thank s

lazerlight1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore 1999
yes it goes a little faster but not much car still gets cool but takes ages to cool down

lazerlight1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore 1999
yes it goes a little faster but not much car still gets cool but takes ages to cool down

froggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vt berlina
under the glove box you will find a flat plastic cover pull it straight down and it should just release. remove 4 screws (phillip head ).this will expose your fan , remove 3 phillip screws from under this and remove 2 pin plug from front of fan housing. take this fan to auto electrician and get him to check it if he is any kind of a bloke he will check it for free. if it is working fine it should nearly twist out of your hand. if not go to wreckers and get a second hand one should cost you about $75-80. install and off you go