Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan not working VX Calais V6 - Fan unit or Resistor ?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Hi,

Fan is not working in either heating or cooling. Tried changing the Relay under the steering wheel, and have the resistor left to try before chaning the fan unit. The controls work as in lighting up, but none of the fan settings work at any speed. Does this mean the fan itself has gone, as it would work on some setting if it was only resistor ? Typical to go when the hot weather starts !

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
When my resistor went I still had the fan, but only on the highest speed, not sure if this is typical. If you have the know how though, a resistor is only $30, might be wroth changing it.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
With the climate control system in the Calais there are four fan speeds 1, 2, 3 and High. If the fan isn't working on any of these speeds then it's probably the fan unit or wiring and not the resistor. The High speed setting goes straight to the relay and not through the resistor.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Thanks for the responses ;) Holden wanted a fan unit for $300 so i went past the wreckers and picked up one from for $40. Gave it a clean and some Lanox, and after undoing about 100 screws, and nice hot afternoon to be doing it, the Fan was definately the problem. Only problem is i have 3 spare screws :eek: but nothing seems loose..........

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Just shove 'em in the glove box.
You'll find a place for them sooner or later.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
If you now have any rattles, you'll know where to start looking. :)

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Yeah hehe, sounded fine today, no dramas with rattles or anything hehe. 4 down to 3 screws now hehe. Found an extra hole tidying up this morning. Glove box is the first place they went hehe. I have a feeling they go into the side of the glove box facia near the side vent. Worry about it when i have to hehe. Thanks again.

So yeah just to confirm below, for future reference the guy and wreckers mentioned exactly this,

With the climate control system in the Calais there are four fan speeds 1, 2, 3 and High. If the fan isn't working on any of these speeds then it's probably the fan unit or wiring and not the resistor. The High speed setting goes straight to the relay and not through the resistor.