Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fault code 42

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by James Rankin, Dec 4, 2018.

1. James Rankin

James Rankin New Member

Members Ride:
    Vp Holden
    Does any one know if a faulty Alternator would cause a fault code 42. This is an intermittent problem that happens every now and again after taking my 3.8 v6 powered hilux through a river a while back. I have checked both wires from ecu to dfi,checked the ecu itself,checked the earth's to ecu,power to ecu ,replaced the coil packs with MSD as one has failed recently..(not to fix the 42 code problem).it has new leads..CAS is working fine,the battery is good, harness is in good condition,have checked terminals on plugs ends,and I'm completely baffled. When I use my indicator I've noticed the volt gauge fluctuating more than usual..thinking maybey this is the fault,and the voltage regulator in the Alternator is causing it?

2. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I'd start by removing the DFI, cleaning it including the plug and refit with some new heat sink paste and see if that sorts it.

3. James Rankin

James Rankin New Member

Members Ride:
    Vp Holden
    I have checked ohms on DFI and its within factory specs from Haines workshop manual also,and i If I hit a bump in the road .. it goes away,but have no loose connections???? Will definitely try the heat paste...thank you

4. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore