Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fault code 42

James Rankin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Holden
Does any one know if a faulty Alternator would cause a fault code 42. This is an intermittent problem that happens every now and again after taking my 3.8 v6 powered hilux through a river a while back. I have checked both wires from ecu to dfi,checked the ecu itself,checked the earth's to ecu,power to ecu ,replaced the coil packs with MSD as one has failed recently..(not to fix the 42 code problem).it has new leads..CAS is working fine,the battery is good, harness is in good condition,have checked terminals on plugs ends,and I'm completely baffled. When I use my indicator I've noticed the volt gauge fluctuating more than usual..thinking maybey this is the fault,and the voltage regulator in the Alternator is causing it?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd start by removing the DFI, cleaning it including the plug and refit with some new heat sink paste and see if that sorts it.

James Rankin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Holden
I have checked ohms on DFI and its within factory specs from Haines workshop manual also,and i If I hit a bump in the road .. it goes away,but have no loose connections???? Will definitely try the heat paste...thank you

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Did you sort it? Another thing to note is vn vp v6's get dfi earth through the engine bracket its bolted to. Take the dfi/coil pack assembly off the bracket and check for corrosion under it. Clean back to bare metal and maybe wipe with wd40. you can also crack the bracket bolts and re-tighten. Other option is get a vr-vy dfi module with pin "K" present and run your own earth wire to the body. Vn vp dfi modules dont have a pin marked "K"