Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FE2 vs Monroe, KYB, Pedders etc.

metester

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Clubsport R8
I need to replace my stock rear shocks on my E1 Clubby. My question is are aftermarket shocks like Monroe or others in the same range better/worse/same as the stock FE2's? I don't really want to spend the $$ on Bilstein, Koni etc., as my car is a daily drive mainly. I was quoted $300 for a pair from Holden and want to make sure I am not wasting my money on stock when I could have better for similar $$.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Were you happy with the originals? If so, buy original again. $300 for a pair isnt too bad.
Plenty of opinions about others. I am a KYB fan myself, but havent had any experience with them on a VE. They will cost around the same price I would think.

Vz SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV Redline
Yea 300 is really good I paid 800 for billstein rears for my vz in there is a noticeable difference but for a daily you wouldn't bother

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Out of that selection I'd be going Kybs , I think the FE2 shocks are monroe's anyway.
Yea 300 is really good I paid 800 for billstein rears for my vz in there is a noticeable difference but for a daily you wouldn't bother
You got ripped big time mate, I got my rears at $440 for the pair.

Vz SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV Redline
Out of that selection I'd be going Kybs , I think the FE2 shocks are monroe's anyway.

You got ripped big time mate, I got my rears at $440 for the pair.
Yea that's what happens when you go in to have it lowered in the front and they ring you up and say your rear shocks are ####ed and you tell them to put the best they had in then go to do your rotors a week later and all your wheel nuts are finger tight except for the 2 where they crossed the threads and ####ed the studs ( moral of this it's easy enough do it yourself )

Kenny23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
Have had good experiences with kyb and they're not expensive. So i would go kyb over the stock fe2's. doubt the price difference would be alot, if any.

metester

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Clubsport R8
Have had good experiences with kyb and they're not expensive. So i would go kyb over the stock fe2's. doubt the price difference would be alot, if any.

I have heard a few people say that about KYB's. Do you know if they are firmer than stock FE2? Pricewise they may even be a little cheaper.

metester

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Clubsport R8
Yea that's what happens when you go in to have it lowered in the front and they ring you up and say your rear shocks are ####ed and you tell them to put the best they had in then go to do your rotors a week later and all your wheel nuts are finger tight except for the 2 where they crossed the threads and ####ed the studs ( moral of this it's easy enough do it yourself )

I'll be giving it a go. Looks simple enough although that's when everything goes as planned! :rolleyes:

Too many sh1te mechanics out there. Show little respect for your ride.

BehaveSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 HSV E3 Tourer
I have a few questions, what are the differences between the premium shocks like koni etc that makes them perform better than say cheaper brands like pedders? I am talking about the non adjustable shocks. Recalling my uni days, critically dampen setup is always the best, but the spring stiffness and shock dampening rates need to be carefully paired for particular weight they are suspending. Are all the different brands of shocks designed to same dampening rates or different? Or are the different brands differ mostly by their build and material quality?