Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

few questions about vn 5 speed n plugs etc

grothie1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted vn
heya all
i have a vn with a 5 speed
when changing oil and stuff i noticed that where the gearbox bolts onto the motor near where the exhaust flange is, i can see the big cog thinga majiga on the back of the motor, is this right or should it have a cover of some sort?
i changed the spark plugs etc and now noticed that there is smoke or steam coming from the driver side, seems to be coming off exhaust (i think), i changed oil when i did sparks, would this mean i over filled it with oil and maybe leaking from an overflow somewhere onto the exhaust system?
any help would be greatly appreciated as this is spinning me out a bit and dont want it to catch fire or whatever

grothie1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted vn
sorry, also anyone got a cheap meaty clutch available or know of a place/wreckers near port macquarie nsw or in nsw?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
that big thingy majig is probably the flywheel if you can see it at the back of the engine below the sump and it means the little steel cover Bolts to the bellhousing) is missing that normally covers that thingy majig.

don't wanna state the obvious but howz about you check the oil lever (cold engine on lever ground) seriously over filling the crankcase can cause oil to blow back out of the dipstick, especially if the PCV valve is also suspect