Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Finally My New VF Redline Arrives

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
I don't know of any other manufacturer that makes two sets of rims for the same model and variant and selects which rim goes with which car based on paint colour. Then doesn't give the customer the option of which rim to choose, even though they make two for that variant.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Now have a hard time finding black rims I like that will suit staggered set up and keep the same profile, So far the only ones I have found(and liked) are 20's would prefer to stay at 19's so I don't have to recalibrate speedo and lower it even more, Don't want it looking like an SUV.

All VE wheels will fit VF you just need the higher load rating buddy.

"So far the only ones I have found(and liked) are 20's would prefer to stay at 19's so I don't have to recalibrate speedo and lower it even more"

^^ that statement is a myth and a complete lie. The overall diameter from 19s to 20s is less then 5mm difference when the correct tyres are fitted. Here's the proof going by VE sizes

245/40R19 has a overall diameter of 679mm now if you had 235/40R19s that diameter is 671mm now according to this TYRESAVE: Tyre Size Calculator a
245/35R20 has a overall diameter of 679mm and the rear if staggered is 275/30R20 and a diameter of 673mm

So if you swapped from 19s to 20s your ground clearance will change buy maybe 8mm front and 6mm rear but the eyebrow height stays the same. The problem is that legally the current 20 inch tyre's don't meet the VF load rating however BK Performance have higher rated tyre's coming so everyone can be happy and legal :)

Also the speedo error from a 235/40R19 to 245/35R20 is about 1.5km at 100km/h

Shane-0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Thanks for pointing that out, Only ever had 19's so not sure what to expect from 20's in ride height and sight. 275/30R20 on sth east vic roads o_O no thanks lol 35's are already a vibrating nightmare!
As for speedo I like mine to be spot on if possible, Especially with this new heads up display as I am betting that is already out slightly compared to the dials?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Thanks for pointing that out, Only ever had 19's so not sure what to expect from 20's in ride height and sight. 275/30R20 on sth east vic roads o_O no thanks lol 35's are already a vibrating nightmare!
As for speedo I like mine to be spot on if possible, Especially with this new heads up display as I am betting that is already out slightly compared to the dials?

hahaha I dont blame you. But the 275/30 tyre side wall is the same height as a 245/35 because the series (30) is a percentage of the tyre width. My dial to digital is out and my digital is still out 4km at 100km going off a sat nav device. I've been told all car manufactures are allowed a 10% tolerance on speedo's which shocked me. dont know if this is true tho but mines out and so are both of Dad's VE too.

Shane-0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Geezus 10% tolerance o_O
I may look into 20's some more, It's not looking to good on the 19's not much out there that grabs my attention other than the stock vf black redline rims, Seems to be way more choice once you move up to 20's

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Shane-O

Which wheel combination did you end up settling on, did you consider powder coating? I have a peacock green Redline with the forged silver rims and I have to say I am rapt in the look. But my Holden dealer offered to have them powder coated black (with warranty) for $600, when I asked the black rims question. In the end I stayed with the silver and am very glad I did as I think the black on black would have been OTT (Regal Peacock appears jet black in low light conditions). With tinted windows the paint and wheel combination really works, and highlights the chrome on the fender vents, door handles etc. Having said that I'm a bit old school and still love pre 80's cars with shiny bumper bars! 70's.