Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Firewall insulator replacement

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anyone know how to replace the firewall insulator? I had a look but it looks as if it might be engine out? Only other way I can see is if the wiper plenum comes off, whether that would be enough to fit it?

And how do you get to the clips? Is this a massive job?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The clips screw off. They are the wide black plastic ones. On the V6, with the whole top of the motor off, and the whole plastic wiper cowl off, it’s all very accessible. That panel is no longer available. I had to get one of the last series 2 panels and adapt it to the fuel lines for series 1.

The insulation panel behind the booster came out and was not replaced for reasons. No difference inside for noise or heat. The panel for the pedal plate was available and replaced.

In hind sight, I would have gone with after market solutions from CarBuilders. Just would not have been black.

On the V8, I’d guess removing the intake manifold would help accessing that area a bit easier.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The panels were available for mine. I bought one when there were about 140 left, and a second when I was told they are down to 45. It's too much work. I'm leaving mine without one for now.

Thanks Fu.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The panels were available for mine. I bought one when there were about 140 left, and a second when I was told they are down to 45. It's too much work. I'm leaving mine without one for now.

Thanks Fu.
Mine crumbled to pieces on the drivers side from a heater hose leak and on the passenger side when I had to remove the whole front plenum to replace the recirc door. I’ve been running without any of the firewall insulation since I did the recirc door.

It doesn’t seem to harm anything and I think it’s mostly there for sound deadening purposes and I didn’t buy a V8 for the quiet ride.

The only part I was concerned about initially was the plastic air plenum where it’s close to the extractors on the passenger side but just putting back the aluminium heat shield seems sufficient to protect the plastic air plenum.