Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Firing on ony 4 or five cyl's

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by dinodog, Aug 2, 2006.

1. dinodog

dinodog New Member

Members Ride:
    VR 5.0 SS
    :bow:Help Having problems trying to fine the miss fire in our VT 3.8 seems to be fireing on 4 or 5 have replaced plugs and tested leads with oms meter and all seem ok.Car has just clicked 200,000kms ex cop car has been a good car apart from that fact. the fuelfilter will be next:bang: then the Coils can these be the bad miss that i cant find????? thanks guys and girls :w00t:

2. beeks

beeks Banned

Members Ride:
    XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
    Change the leads(I know you checked them) but see how things run after changing them,it could be as simple as that.When were they last changed(including sparks)?

3. accentstencil

accentstencil Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    WH II Caprice, 5.7
    I agree with beeks. The last time I had a miss I checked the leads and they tested OK. I changed them anyway and the miss was gone. If your leads a very old it's a good idea to change them, they aren't very expensive. Also check plugs. If all that doesn't fix your problem then move on to things like checking coil packs.
    Every time I've had a miss (3 or 4 times) it's been a bad lead.

4. Don Sutton

Don Sutton New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore Acclaim
    First a question.
    1] Is it the same cylinders missfiring each time?
    Yes means leads to those cylinders or coil for those cylinders or possibly injectors for those cylinders.
    No means that something affecting any cylinder which could mean possibly crankshaft sensor or power to distributor pack or air flow sensor or connectors to any of the above.

Note Each coil (there are 3) fires two cylinders simultaneously. One cylinder is at the end of the exhaust stroke and the other is at the end of the compression stroke. Each coil fires once per revolution of the crankshaft. If the missfiring is from a set of paired cylinders then that narrows it down to the coil.

5. VZCalZone

VZCalZone now choppin the VZ

Members Ride:
    vz calais, vx2 exec
    have you got heat shields on. If so take them off and see if it fixes it. Sounds stupid but one of mine was dodgy after i changed plugs and leads.

6. sno

sno New Member

Members Ride:
    VXII SS
    take her in to a holden dealer, have a tune up - includes plugs, leads, checking the points and coil pack.. mines doing the same atm.. just having hard time to find the time to take her in..

7. dinodog

dinodog New Member

Members Ride:
    VR 5.0 SS
    Well ye not going to beleave this but when i got all leads and plugs replaced and still had the problem i got to taken the top cover off the motor just to see if the fuel rail was ok and check eveything thats there but there was all this paper and rags and stuff in and under the intake, like a little nest or something, well when i pulled the wire's that tell the injecters what to do there were no wires as what had ever been living there had eaten all of the wires that run the fuel line's and inecters and that so i fixed that then the other day i was at work and this big f----king rat jump out of the back of me car i said F_______K see that to me mate and he said F_____ dat so this is just to say RATS like the good ol'e Holdens too.

8. accentstencil

accentstencil Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    WH II Caprice, 5.7
    That's very unusual. Do you drive it every day or has it been sitting for a while. You wouldn't think a rat would like that sort of environment. Anyway is you car running alright now that you've found the problem?

9. beeks

beeks Banned

Members Ride:
    XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
    Whatever your taking,lay off mate.Sound's to me like you were a little bored when posting this bro.Try posting a genuine problem next time.

10. summernats2010

summernats2010 Banned

Members Ride:
    vz cv8z monaro fusion 6spdm
    sorry to correct you beeks but i am a mechanic in south west victoria and i get these sorts of problems all the time generally farmes leave their cars in a shed near a haystack or something and rats ad mice chew all sorts of wires etc etc actually i have had to fix hetaers head lights etc etc but as for something living under the intake, well sounds a little suss to say the least

11. Tree cutter

Tree cutter Tree cutter

Members Ride:
    VX Calais SuperchargedV6
    I fixed a mates XR8 that had the injector loom eaten away by mice. All the area under the plastic cover over the intake was filled with straw where the mice were living.

12. mean

mean Guest

find out what 2 cylenders or cylender is missing by unpluging injectors one at a time. if two cylenders are missing trace spark plug leads from those two cylenders to coil packs, if they both go to the same coil pack then chances are it will be that coil pack. you can buy each coil pack individuly. about $80
    I think

13. dinodog

dinodog New Member

Members Ride:
    VR 5.0 SS
    Car stays on a farm so i think thats where it came from, the little shits had also eaten half the horse feed in the shed so now im on the hunt for B.F.Rs ( Big f----ing Rats) eveytime i go outside. Did not think rats or anything else for that matter ate wire. but thanks for the help eveyone and you never no who's going too run the world one day and it might not be ant's!!!!!

14. dinodog

dinodog New Member

Members Ride:
    VR 5.0 SS
    :thumbsup: L.O.L what a DUDE, oh sorry i mean DICK this did happen. So what! in your little shitbox world things like this dont happen ,well you must live in a very small hole buddy. maybe you could be a FORD owner that never could let it be as they do and there are a few of you mostly living off the hard work of others. You need to find some sex tapes or internet site to hav a wank and pull your foreskin over your head so you can keep your stubby little nose picking fingers away from the keyboard. if you like you can keep your head warm thats if you think about it a dick. So tell someone that give's a **** with what you think witch dont mean a lot to anyone with brains , oh and by the way i an't NO F king BRO!! of yours BRO!!!:w00t:

15. JD

JD Donating Member

Members Ride:
    1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
    beeks, dinodog agree to diagree ok
    no offense dinodog but this is the reason why threads and even forums get closed down.

16. wrx884

wrx884 WA's ASR Rep

Members Ride:
    VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
    yer but some ppl just dont know how 2 bite their tongues at times hahaha well deserved comment dinodog ;) im sure no1 expects a rat 2 b livin under ur hood so the comment was fair question 2 ask coulda been a number of things as u can see if there was no rat under there, unlucky but......

17. beeks

beeks Banned

Members Ride:
    XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
    Yes sir,yes sir 3 bags full sir,I'll let that one slide.

18. c2ahhh

c2ahhh Guest

dude def the coil pack happend with my vs once it was changed ran a1 again

19. Jesterarts

Jesterarts Your freedom ends where mine begins

Members Ride:
    2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
    Gotta say, that was the longest insult rant i've read for awhile...
    Good work dinodog! lol, beeks pisses me of sometimes... you learn to ignore him though...

20. wrx884

wrx884 WA's ASR Rep

Members Ride:
    VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini

hahahaha so im not the only 1 ay??? hahaha i think hes learnt 2 quiet down a bit after we both got a strike not long ago hahahaha funny ****