Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitment Questions

XcluSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
XcluSSV
Hey guys, XcluSSV here from US and I have some fitment questions. In short, I want to convert my SSV (badged here as a Chevy SS) into a HSV Gen F2 ClubSport R8 LSA from exhaust to bumpers, side skirts, to front and rear CTSV brakes. Basically make my Chevy into an HSV Gen F2 Clubsport R8 :rockon:

1. Does anyone know if I'll have any fitment issues if I replace my SSV front bumper with the HSV Gen F2 ClubSport R8 LSA front bumper? It seems like all I need to change is the bumper cover and grille, which is essentially molded onto the bumper but you guys will know better than me.

2. Replacing the rear bumper seems a little more involved. For one, the taillights and exhaust are different so as a result makes the bumper have a different contour to fit the taillights. Which brings me to my following questions.

a) Do the ssv and R8 have different trunk lids? In other words, do the SSV and R8 trunk lid taillights fit in the same mold/trunk lid?
b) Excluding the bumper cover, do the outside taillights (not the trunk lid) fit in the same body mold regardless if its the SSV or Gen F2?
c) What exhaust catback does the Gen F2 have? I read somewhere its a Borla BUT I'd like to confirm model/part number if there is any or if its another exhaust altogether.

3. I originally wanted the 6 piston HSV front calipers but its easier and cheaper for me to install Cadillac CTSV brake calipers and rotors.

I appreciate everyones input and help so a BIG THANK YOU in advance.

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Dude don't go too crazy for all the HSV stuff.
Visual stuff is ok......things like exhaust and brakes, you can get better stuff where you are for less.
Pretty sure you may have to change the boot lid.
You will definitely need new lights to fit the rear bumper.
Front GTS bumper should straight fit.
What about engine?
Swapping your SS LS3 with an LSA is a nightmare, just to get a lousy 430Kw at flywheel.
LS3 with a supercharger, OTR and good exhaust with a custom tune will get you around 530
All visual you see on a GTS should fit directly as a HSV is just a modified Holden Commodore.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
In short, I want to convert my SSV (badged here as a Chevy SS) into a HSV Gen F2 ClubSport R8 LSA from exhaust to bumpers, side skirts, to front and rear CTSV brakes. Basically make my Chevy into an HSV Gen F2 Clubsport R8 :rockon:

Are you converting the interior as well?

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
i done the SSV to Clubsport HSV conversion .

parts you will need are basically the whole front bumper and trims / plastic inserts . rear you will need complete rear bumper , tail lamps . you can get away with your exhaust sliding through the hsv rear end holes , although you will need to re adjust the hangers on the exhaust and drop the mufflers a little depending . your boot doesn't need to change it will fit , just the lights will be changed that are housed in the boot . otherwise if you get the hsv bi modal mufflers they will sit back further and won't foul the fascia .

problem is all these parts will be expensive as all hell having them sent to the states . and sourcing the pieces complete and or buying them individually is a mission ,unless you buy direct from holden - mind you, your looking at 5 grand for the GTS front bumper and trims alone - no paint . it will be a very costly upgrade to exercise .

another thing will be rewiring the loom , you will need to chop the hsv loom on the bumper you purchase , and match the 16hsv wires to the 12 ssv wires . i worked this out myself , it was a pain in the ass at first but after breaking it down i worked it out .

if you do this and run into any trouble with wiring let me know as i worked it

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
On the brakes ... you've got a 2016 don't you? ... pretty sure you've already got those CTS-V front & rear brakes.

XcluSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
XcluSSV
On the brakes ... you've got a 2016 don't you? ... pretty sure you've already got those CTS-V front & rear brakes.

Wanna hear something funny? I havent bought the car yet lol. I was deciding between the CTSV & SSV, but I wanted to price out all my mods and end price vs what I'd pay for the CTSV. I've already decided I'm buying the SSV, just need to gather all the parts and info to modify my car to my liking. I think our SS, your SSV, comes with 4 piston front and rear. Sadly enough, the Chevy employees dont know much about the car, let alone how many pistons the brake calipers have.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
Wanna hear something funny? I havent bought the car yet lol. I was deciding between the CTSV & SSV, but I wanted to price out all my mods and end price vs what I'd pay for the CTSV. I've already decided I'm buying the SSV, just need to gather all the parts and info to modify my car to my liking. I think our SS, your SSV, comes with 4 piston front and rear. Sadly enough, the Chevy employees dont know much about the car, let alone how many pistons the brake calipers have.

You should think about running over the Chev employee to give him a closer look ;)

JTmofo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sportswagon

Holden SSV comes with 2 pot fronts and single rear.
The SSV Redline comes with 4 pot Brembo front and rear.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Wow, specs are hard to find aren't they?

However, you'll find they're the same 4-piston Brembo's as fitted to the Commodore SS-V Redline, the Chev SS is closer to the SS-V Redline than the SS-V in spec-level.

From Chevrolet's website you can see the side shot which shows the red calipers front & rear:

2016-chevrolet-ss-baseball-card-648x202.png

... and you can clearly see the Brembo badging on the fronts in this shot (which I've seen referred-to a fair bit on the 'net):

2016-Chevrolet-SS-5-760x619.jpeg

Prior to 2016 model-year you had silver-painted calipers, only the 4-spot Brembos at the front; from MY2016 it's Brembo's all 'round. :)

Oh, and the MY2016 Chev SS rear brakes are the same as fitted to the Caddy CTS-V. Prior to the 2016 model-year in Australia, the SS-V Redline came with the same brakes as the Chev SS of the same age, ie. the Brembo fronts; one of the upgrades people used, to get matching Brembo rears (back before they were officially released for Commodores) was to buy the 4-spot CTS-V ones from the USA.
So don't even consider using the CTS-V rear brakes, you'll just end up with a spare set of exactly the same size sitting-around doing nothing. :D
Front brakes I'm not so sure, but I'm moderately certain that people were using the set of 4 CTS-V brakes as an upgrade to lower spec-level Commodores; so suspect they may be the same.

If you're planning on taking the car to the track, there are bigger brake options available though ... you can get the HSV ones (I think they're AP), but I've seen even larger (different model to standard) Brembos available as a kit on eBay.

Last edited:

JTmofo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sportswagon
Wow, specs are hard to find aren't they?

However, you'll find they're the same 4-piston Brembo's as fitted to the Commodore SS-V Redline, the Chev SS is closer to the SS-V Redline than the SS-V in spec-level.

From Chevrolet's website you can see the side shot which shows the red calipers front & rear:

... and you can clearly see the Brembo badging on the fronts in this shot (which I've seen referred-to a fair bit on the 'net):

Prior to 2016 model-year you had silver-painted calipers, only the 4-spot Brembos at the front; from MY2016 it's Brembo's all 'round. :)

Oh, and the MY2016 Chev SS rear brakes are the same as fitted to the Caddy CTS-V. Prior to the 2016 model-year in Australia, the SS-V Redline came with the same brakes as the Chev SS of the same age, ie. the Brembo fronts; one of the upgrades people used, to get matching Brembo rears (back before they were officially released for Commodores) was to buy the 4-spot CTS-V ones from the USA.
So don't even consider using the CTS-V rear brakes, you'll just end up with a spare set of exactly the same size sitting-around doing nothing. :D
Front brakes I'm not so sure, but I'm moderately certain that people were using the set of 4 CTS-V brakes as an upgrade to lower spec-level Commodores; so suspect they may be the same.

If you're planning on taking the car to the track, there are bigger brake options available though ... you can get the HSV ones (I think they're AP), but I've seen even larger (different model to standard) Brembos available as a kit on eBay.

As Forg says ^^^^, the Chevy SS does indeed use the same 4 pot Brembo's as on the SSV Redline, and 2016+ have front and rear (pre 2016 only had the front brembos)
For an easy upgrade, especially living in the States, is to just buy a set of V2 CTS-V front calipers 6 pot Brembo calipers and Rotors. They are a cheap upgrade, direct bolt on, easy to get, and easy to get pads/rotor replacements when needed.

Last edited: