Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting Ve hsv front seats

Sik_Cordz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 5LTR
hey guys anyone here fitted ve hsv seats in there vl. is it just a matter of getting the ve seat to fit the vl rails or is there more to it. just looking for anyone that has done it them self's cheers

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
I have put vt Coulson seats in a Vk. Just made up an adapter plate out of sheet metal, bolted the Vk rails to it then the vt seats bolt on to the plate. Not exactly what your asking but the principle is the same. Also currently have ba falcon seats in my vs ute.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Am I right in thinking the VE seats will come with side air bags which will need to be removed.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
VE SS seats in a late model VK yes (very similar rails to the VL) & HSV have the same seat bases.

They fit fine & don't impeded with either factory centre console nor B pillar. I retained the original VK seatbelts & mountings. I was looking for original Scheel seats but couldn't afford them along with everything else that was going on with my build at the time.

So, remove the original VK seats with rails from the car & then remove the VK rails from the seats (you are going to reuse these), the drivers side had the adjustable mechanical height mechanism & the passengers was fixed so I required 2 different sizes of box section to obtain the factory VK seat heights (40mm for RHS & 75mm for LHS from memory). When you have the seats out side by side without the rails fitted you will see the difference, measure & order accordingly.

Remove the electrical controls & rails from the VE SS seats, refit the VK rails back into the car, measured & mark the VE seats onto the new spacers (to ensure sufficient leg room & travel on original rails), mark up & drill the holes top & bottom. Bolt (box section) spacers to rails, then in-turn VE seat to the spacers (use all original seat hardware). I had to make up a spacer (2mm) for 1 mounting stud on the VE seat base as it wasn't flush with the other 3 studs. Make sure you check with a certifying engineer for the minimum steel requirements as mine had to be 1.5mm thick (mild steel). Simple really, no welding nor cutting of the original factory items. You need 2 spacers/mountings per seat!

Once completed I found it easier to mount the spacer onto the rails, bolt them into the car, then drop the VE seat onto the new spacer. I've had to take my seats out a couple of times it is about 5 mins work.

There is a replacement plastic RH seat side panel from the std VE Berlina Commodore seat that doesn't have the electrical adjuster switch hole, that can be used instead of the VE SS one (Berlina's have mechanical seat mechanisms).

The only slight issue I encountered, was the original VK seat height adjuster (drivers side) fouls on the VE plastic seat side trim (bottom picture), I just set it at its lowest & it is fine for me.

Good luck.

Measured up using VE rails first, found too hard to fabricate, so went with std VK rails!
IMG_0354.JPG

Re-trim time.
IMG_0035.JPG

Factory VK rails with a new VE Berlina plastic side panel on RHS only (passenger wasn't adjustable, so didn't need replacing).
DSC0653611.JPG

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
That looks awesome Lacksballs, I'm on the hunt for seats for my VK, it's hard to find even standard VK cerulean seats that people aren't asking a shitload of money for. What did the retrim cost if you don't mind me asking?

Sik_Cordz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 5LTR
VE SS seats in a late model VK yes (very similar rails to the VL) & HSV have the same seat bases.

They fit fine & don't impeded with either factory centre console nor B pillar. I retained the original VK seatbelts & mountings. I was looking for original Scheel seats but couldn't afford them along with everything else that was going on with my build at the time.

So, remove the original VK seats with rails from the car & then remove the VK rails from the seats (you are going to reuse these), the drivers side had the adjustable mechanical height mechanism & the passengers was fixed so I required 2 different sizes of box section to obtain the factory VK seat heights (40mm for RHS & 75mm for LHS from memory). When you have the seats out side by side without the rails fitted you will see the difference, measure & order accordingly.

Remove the electrical controls & rails from the VE SS seats, refit the VK rails back into the car, measured & mark the VE seats onto the new spacers (to ensure sufficient leg room & travel on original rails), mark up & drill the holes top & bottom. Bolt (box section) spacers to rails, then in-turn VE seat to the spacers (use all original seat hardware). I had to make up a spacer (2mm) for 1 mounting stud on the VE seat base as it wasn't flush with the other 3 studs. Make sure you check with a certifying engineer for the minimum steel requirements as mine had to be 1.5mm thick (mild steel). Simple really, no welding nor cutting of the original factory items. You need 2 spacers/mountings per seat!

Once completed I found it easier to mount the spacer onto the rails, bolt them into the car, then drop the VE seat onto the new spacer. I've had to take my seats out a couple of times it is about 5 mins work.

There is a replacement plastic RH seat side panel from the std VE Berlina Commodore seat that doesn't have the electrical adjuster switch hole, that can be used instead of the VE SS one (Berlina's have mechanical seat mechanisms).

The only slight issue I encountered, was the original VK seat height adjuster (drivers side) fouls on the VE plastic seat side trim (bottom picture), I just set it at its lowest & it is fine for me.

Good luck.

Measured up using VE rails first, found too hard to fabricate, so went with std VK rails!
View attachment 197493
Re-trim time.
View attachment 197492
Factory VK rails with a new VE Berlina plastic side panel on RHS only (passenger wasn't adjustable, so didn't need replacing).
View attachment 197494

thanks heaps for the info mate. this should make the job a whole lot easier

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
That looks awesome Lacksballs, I'm on the hunt for seats for my VK, it's hard to find even standard VK cerulean seats that people aren't asking a shitload of money for. What did the retrim cost if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Heron SSV,

Thanks, from memory to purchase a good pair of unmarked VE SS seats, steal, powder coating, custom stitching, period correct cerulean vinyl, valour, herringbone & the final trimmers bill, all in about $4,500.00. The hardest thing to find was the valour & matching herringbone (as there are different shades of Cerulean from green to blue) from a reputable supplier willing to sell it for anything but a genuine HDT car. I'm just about to change out the front VE headrest foams for factory "Scheel" VK ones & fitting rear headrests at the same time (luckily I've still got enough valour & vinyl).

My trimmer said that the Herringbone was a real pain to work with, as the pattern plays tricks with the eyes (I have read this also on HDT sites & many of the factory HDT seats had slight imperfections due to the herringbone pattern).

I ended up selling my mint front VK cerulean seats & VE electrical rails for good money, so just a shade under $4k in the end. My VE seats are from a ute so have the back that tilts forwards (Scheels did as well)! The rear seat is just std factory seat re-trimmed, nothing special. The VE seats are really comfortable & supportive. They do have a high back on them compared to the factory VK seats, so some purists may not like addition.

FYI: Ute seats are generally cheaper as breakers/wreckers normally want to sell the front & rear seats and door cards as a package.

Side by side.
new old.jpeg

Finished article.
DSC05403.jpeg

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I've had seats done in the past. I re-used the rails from the donor seats had anchor points installed and a modification plate fitted.

afaik this is the only legal way to replace your seats.

This was not in a commodore, imo as soon as transport see non-standard seats they will want to see a mod plate.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
Even when our good old friends @ HDT fitted Scheel seats they had to make/fit a bracket to attach the Scheel seat to the factory VK rails.

As stated above talk to an engineer to gain the necessary information, on the right material spec & appropriate hardware for the proposed bracket (makes obtaining the mod-plate a lot easier!)

Scheel VK rail.jpg

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Got quoted $300 just for those plates last time I asked for grubby rs2000 seats I have.

Think lowest quote for plain early group a/ss interior 6k vinyl doortrims not available only velour group 3 doortrims extra 1k on top.

Ouch!