Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FIXED: Shift to park And Radio not turning off when opening door

BigRedNZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VF2 SV6
Fixed. I thought I would post this up as I couldnt find much on the Shift to park issue. The radio was a happy coincidence that it fixed it

I saw some hints about how to resolve two issues:
1. When you turn off car, in the dash it says "Shift to park" even though its in park and the dash gear indicator says park to
2. When you turn off car and open the door the radio doesn't shut off

These issues are caused by a microswitch clipped onto the side of the shifter see pic.

What happened for me was
1. The microswitch was loose so when the shifter hit the switch it wouldn't click it properly
2. The gear shifter has a pin, you can see it move when you push the shift button on autostick, this pin was going behind the microswitch not hitting it
3. the gear stick pin is loose and may not have been pushed all the way to the right enough

Fix
Pull a part the shifter surround
- remove center trim
- remove console

The switch is the bit covered in glue. What should happen is a plastic clip should hold the microswitch in place but that ends up bent causing the switch to shift out of alighnment. Just push the clip back on to show the position then glue it. I thought about holding it with clips and then sinking self tapping screws to hold it there.. hot glue may fail over time

20230218_183409.jpg

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Fixed. I thought I would post this up as I couldnt find much on the Shift to park issue. The radio was a happy coincidence that it fixed it

I saw some hints about how to resolve two issues:
1. When you turn off car, in the dash it says "Shift to park" even though its in park and the dash gear indicator says park to
2. When you turn off car and open the door the radio doesn't shut off

These issues are caused by a microswitch clipped onto the side of the shifter see pic.

What happened for me was
1. The microswitch was loose so when the shifter hit the switch it wouldn't click it properly
2. The gear shifter has a pin, you can see it move when you push the shift button on autostick, this pin was going behind the microswitch not hitting it
3. the gear stick pin is loose and may not have been pushed all the way to the right enough

Fix
Pull a part the shifter surround
- remove center trim
- remove console

The switch is the bit covered in glue. What should happen is a plastic clip should hold the microswitch in place but that ends up bent causing the switch to shift out of alighnment. Just push the clip back on to show the position then glue it. I thought about holding it with clips and then sinking self tapping screws to hold it there.. hot glue may fail over time

View attachment 248352
Good write up mate
Thanks

H3M1

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice
Hi, humans, just an update on the Shift to Park issue.

Thanks for the above information I just wanted to add some more detailed photos to help anyone else with the same problem.

with adjustment of the locking pin, I don't believe you will need any glue just a 10mm, plastic pry tool, and a screwdriver.

1 Lock Pin Miss.jpg2 Lock Pin Just Catch.jpg3 Lock Pin Slide To adjust Lenth.jpg4 Lock Pin New Position.jpg