Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flappy Paddles

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
I believe I saw one of the World Rally Cars running a flappy paddle setup the other day. Just one paddle though...sort of like a PS3 changer. Was really light touch.

MickVE

Red... It goes faster!
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 MY10 SS
To those who want to see a really good flappy paddle box watch this weeks Top Gear with the Ferrari 458. That thing looks magic to drive.

As suggested the Holden auto's are not the correct type nor do they have the shift speed to merit having the paddles.

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
I agree with the general sentiment that paddle shifts belong on a dedicated "clutchless manual gearbox" not on an auto with tipshift capability. On the proper gearbox, they are really a lot of fun and can be faster than traditional manuals.

I had an E60 M5 with their SMG gearbox and it was fantastic in manual mode - gearshifts in as fast as 60ms!! The car had an adjustable shift-speed setting that when set at the fastest setting would make you feel like you had broken the car when changing at the redline (8250rpm) - they were that hard.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Is not the 6L50 box run in the BMW328i...I believe this model and the MY10 Camaro runs a paddle shift version. I drive my Sv6 in manual mode all the time...is great fun and seems to shift when I want it to. Tapping down once, twice or even three times in rapid time is no worries at all and all accompanied by a blip. Infact I'd prefer to drive in this mode as no need to down shift manualy (will do itself) unless you want to be on the money.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Best way to show the difference between a box designed for sequential shifting and one with a 'manual' function is to run down to your local VW dealer and take a new mk6 golf gri or R with a DSG gearbox for a run. They are phenomenal.

There are a lot of cars running around at the moment with paddle shifts that shouldn't have them. Holden and HSV have done the right thing by leaving them off. Don't doubt that a dual clutch box is in the cards but won't be for a while.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Is this different to a dual clutch? "Gear changes from second to sixth gear ratios are accomplished with clutch-to-clutch action, where an “oncoming” clutch is engaged and an “offgoing” clutch is released in a precise manner to achieve the ratio change. The first-to-second upshift, however, is a freewheeling action, where the second gear clutch engages while the first gear one-way clutch spins freely." This came from here How the Steptronic Works - bimmerfest - BMW Forums Post No.6

Pete in Perth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, V8
Interestingly flappy paddles is the only way to buy a Ferrari now. The stick shift has gone the way of the dodo - though many enthusiasts long for the stick shift still. The design & performance is improving all the time - and has needed to as the early systems were not so good - but I think it will be a long time before the system is in general use, such as in Holdens, anytime soon. Ferrari first introduced the system to road cars in the 355 model, I think. About 1997. So they've had many years of use and development. With the improving electronics & technology over the years, there are some tremendous smarts now in the (Ferrari) transmissions, diff, aerodynamics, suspension, etc. Even engine internals have great innovations. Even the engine air flow has some very smart technology.

Pete in Perth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, V8
PS. I wouldn't be fitting flappy paddles to a Holden. Wait until it is provided by the factory. Even then, wait a year or two to see how it performs.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Yeah they've been around for ages. The original versions were automated manual boxes and were, for want of a better word, garbage. They ruined a lot of very good cars. They were then attached to automatic or smt boxes and were passable but not great. The dual clutches like in the new 458, porche's PDK and the DSG are sensational. You just can't shift that fast or that accurately in a manual car. Personally, I'd probably still opt for a manual as I enjoy driving them but the dual clutch box is definitely the way forward.