Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flat key, BCM Swap?

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
The key on my VS acclaim is pretty much buggered, its weird, it will lock the car, but not unlock, and ive known its been on its way out for a while 'cos ive always had to get real close to the car. Anyway, i've heard that its about $160 to get a new key head? so i was thinking maybe if i can get hold of a new BCM with a good battery in the key and just swap them over, and it might be cheaper? and if so, whilst i was at it was thinking about getting a MID BCM, would this just plug and play into my VS that has a LOW? What advantages would it give me? ive installed power windows so maybe auto drivers down window? cheers for any help :)

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
You can get a new key head for 100bux max, why would you bother going threw all the hassle of a new bcm just for a new key,, is pointless an unnecessary.

edit: you can only replace the bcm with the same level bcm that was removed,

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
I am going to replace the battery in my worn keyhead and see what happens .

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
If you replace the BCM you will usually get only one key head. If you just get a new key you will have a spare key.

A MID BCM is the same as a LOW, but with the power window auto down and time out function. Hi and Lux BCMs from Berlina and up will not plug and play.

somerandom

Reaction score
i got a brand new key head including the tune in for $50 for my old vy :D

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
Try eBay man, genuine holden keys @ $60. Take it to a locksmith to program it then unlock your car with the old key and put your newly programmed one in the ignition, start and go!

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
I am going to replace the battery in my worn keyhead and see what happens .
Curious to see how you go. One of mine fell apart, I've been meaning to try it but I can't get the key shell to stay together, it keeps falling apart even with superglue.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
yep mine died this week lucky I was at the shopping center and the locksmith there was open, cost me $108 for a 3 button keyhead with my key part fitted and programmed. was easy to get it working on the car, open car with key, start the car, don't touch anything for 2 mins. turn off car and restart all sorted.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
try using something like aroldite epoxy adheasive, stronger and more durable. any auto shop should have it in a 2 part tube form. just squeeze out a small amount of equal parts, mix and apply. let it go slightly tacky and then press together and clamp. once its cured it should hold together pretty nicely

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
so a MID will plug and play with a low BCM? Cos i have installed power windows and auto down would be nice... also, if i got a BCM and key head with a boot button, would it be easy enough just to get and actuator out of a boot lid as well and put it in mine? cos my key head doesn't have a boot button at the moment, and i THINK my boot has the loom for it..