Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Floppy / Lots of Play in Manual Gear Stick / Shifter

Alex_Green

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute
Hey guys,

Bought a Series II VS Commodore Ute yesterday. And have a quick question. Sorry if its obvious or nooby, obviously quite new to the car.

Its a manual and the gear stick is incredibly floppy. Selects gears perfectly fine but has a heap of play. Wondering if anyone knows the source of this and how to fix it, doesn't really affect driving but would be nice to have a tighter shift.

Im assuming it could be the bushings although judging by how well it selects gears im a bit confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
There's a cup shaped bushing that sits on the end of the shifter and perishes over time. Typically thats the cause. The solution is typically to get a new one made from brass.

Alex_Green

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute
There's a cup shaped bushing that sits on the end of the shifter and perishes over time. Typically thats the cause. The solution is typically to get a new one made from brass.

Would i have to get one custom made or do you know of somewhere i could purchase one? (ebay etc) Cheers.

The getrag are always sloppy but the t5 should be tight

Also whats the best way of telling wether i have the getrag or T5 box as im not completely sure. Im assuming its getrag.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
See if u have a hydraulic master cylinder slash resivour, should be mounted on the wheel arch, it not there should be a cable from pedal box I indicating its a t5 getrag is hydraulic. The bushes in the linkages for the getrag get old and **** and sometimes the springs can fall off too! The t5 is a nylon cup I believe? Just do an eBay search

Alex_Green

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute
See if u have a hydraulic master cylinder slash resivour, should be mounted on the wheel arch, it not there should be a cable from pedal box I indicating its a t5 getrag is hydraulic. The bushes in the linkages for the getrag get old and **** and sometimes the springs can fall off too! The t5 is a nylon cup I believe? Just do an eBay search

Thanks very much Bowen, once i have my uni assignment out of the way will definitely be doing this. Cheers