Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Focal Kevlar series speaker upgrade

Blockab

R8WAGZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE HSV CLUBSPORT R8 TOURER
Cheers TraidMarc, yeah i thought so cause i have been looking at Focal components the past few days and the set up you have put down is what i was looking at for my Ute so the breakdown would be greatly appreciated.

VY Rossi

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS 5.7L M6
Im running focal access series in my ss with dual focal amps (solid 1 and solid 4) 2 focal 10inch subs focal 165 access spilts and focal 165 access components with an eclipse head unit unreal sound quality and its clear as when its loud with no destortion thats with both metal and dance music. I honestly cant fault the focal gear

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
When buying cheap arse subs then a 10" might be more "punchy" than it's 12" equivalent model. But with decent subs and the correct box a 12", even a 15", can be as responsive as a 10" but have more output and play lower bass.

I kind of get what your saying, like I get your philosophy, I well made 15 or 12 with a decent magnet is going to be as responsive as a cheap 10. But I am going with a reasonably priced 10 or i may actually change that to a more expensive 10, or 2 10's. I don't listen to techno or DJ stuff so I don't need something to play ultra low frequencies. In general in a PA system if you run 15 inch mids you run 18 inch subs and most bass players use a rig of 4X10's and they are playing bass......so if you look at it that way, and I do, I will be running a system of 4X6.5" mids, ie the speakers in the doors, and one 10" sub. I am not after huge decibels for the kids to enjoy, just a sound system that reproduces rock music as the producer intended it to sound, and sometimes the music I listen to, the producer is myself so just going for what I think will suit my type of music.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
Go with 2 x 10" rockford p3's. Very punchy and tight

You beat me 2 it, if I change my plan at all it would be to add another 10" but I will still go the Focal, I like to keep everything the same!!! But the 5 channel amp is discreet under the seat so one will do for now, and I may add another sub later with a dedicated amp for the 2 10's.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Focal subs are ok but I would take a rockford any day. Sold quite a few Focal speaker Rockford sub packages.

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo
if you got a lazy couple of grand buy a rockford t2 10" . lol . they are wicked, seen one in a display at autobarn in cairns a while back like $1600. 2 or even 1 focal sub will give you what your looking for.

Hsv is king

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS
I like the punchier bass, its a matter of taste but from my experience in bands if you ask a drummer how they want there kick drum to sound it is that tight thump, so to me that's how the system should play, of course that is just my theory, it obviously depends on what kind of music you listen to, but I'm sort of 80's 90's rock so it suits that.

I will have to look int bitone is that a brand?

in regards to the bit one.The manufacturer is Audison and the bit one is the model

If you are looking at it i t would most likley set you back about 1k

The link to the bit one page Audison - Music Expression

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
in regards to the bit one.The manufacturer is Audison and the bit one is the model

Cheers. The guy at the shop did mention signal processors but we never actually got around to talking about them in the end. But yes now I have had a look at the Bit one info, very keen actually. It's a pity Behringer doesn't do car audio, they have some great DSP stuff for PA's at great prices, some people regard Behringer as being cheap ****, but I swear by some of my Behringer gear, Cheap yes, **** not....
This Bit one seems to be the bees knees... I really love my music, and I think I am going to have to add it to my order!!!!

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
upgrade upgraded

Well I have read a really good article Mobile Electronics AU | Articles | Alpine PXA-H800 vs Audison BitOne Processors Compared
And now I am set on the bit one, I haven't upgraded a car stereo for along time and didn't realise that this stuff was available for the car, but I should have known better!!!!
Anyway talked to the audio place and they are getting back to me on the price, I have also upgraded the sub to a Focal 11" 27KX
So Know the system will be:
Focal 165KR Splits up front
Focal 165KRC coax in back
Focal 11" 27KX sub in Focal ported box,
Focal FPP 5300 5 channel amp
Audison Bit one
Focal sound deadening mat

Price...........my guess is it will be around $4500 I will blame HSV is King for that at the moment, but probably thank him later!!!!!

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I wouldn't rule out a Rockford sub mate. I wasn't that impressed with Focals subs to be honest.