Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fog/Driving Lamps

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
They're not really fog lamps are they, more like driving lights as they light up more of the road to the side of the car (well my old Magna and the wifes Mazda 3 do!). In the old days :D fog lamps were yellow! And they really cut through the fog...

Out here in the back blocks of Lilydale, not all the streets a lit and a lot of the back roads (if not all) are dirt. Basically we're in the bush! Ever seen what a wombat can do to your undersides? Anything that'll light the side of the road is a bonus, gives you a bit more reaction time to stop or swerve.

The stock "SS" style VX & VY fog/driving lights are completely useless for lighting up anything but the gutter 1 meter in front of the car.

If you are expecting anything more you are kidding yourself.

Reaper

Marzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Thanks for that Reaper,
Can anyone else confirm this? I may have to look at other lighting if thats the case.

The stock "SS" style VX & VY fog/driving lights are completely useless for lighting up anything but the gutter 1 meter in front of the car.

If you are expecting anything more you are kidding yourself.

Reaper

malscar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZSv6
Marzz, why do you want them? That will give us a better idea as to what would be the alternative.

I have them and only use them when I am using high beam. They do provide more light on the sides than 1 metre, but fog lights are not designed for distance, rather width. The so-called foglights that have come into fashion since the WRX are incorrectly wired. Fog lights should only be able to be used when your parking lights are on. Not low beam. Just like driving lights should only be able to be used when high beam is on.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Have you ever seen an SS driver with their fog lights off?

:rofl: LOL! That's funny Shounak! True, and I'm a culprit too (only at dawn and dusk though). Oh well, we've got 'em, may as well use 'em...

Reaper said:

I disagree! Mine light up almost as well as my headlights, but just lower.

Marzz, as for lighting up more of the side of the road, I'm not sure about that. Side lighting seems about the same as the normal headlights to me...

Marzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Absolutely agree! And as I said in an earlier post, the lights that are in use on current vehicles aren't fog lights, more like driving lights.

I really want to see more of the sides of the road! More so to pre-empt any wildlife jumping out infront of me, thats all.....

Marzz, why do you want them? That will give us a better idea as to what would be the alternative.

I have them and only use them when I am using high beam. They do provide more light on the sides than 1 metre, but fog lights are not designed for distance, rather width. The so-called foglights that have come into fashion since the WRX are incorrectly wired. Fog lights should only be able to be used when your parking lights are on. Not low beam. Just like driving lights should only be able to be used when high beam is on.

ncielens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
For those who are worried about the legality of fog/driving lights consider this.

Many overseas cars now come standard with "daytime" driving lights, new laws are making them a requirement. This law is being considered here in Australia, especially if these cars are going to be sold here.

With the lower position of the lights they don't cause as much of the eye glare that headlights do (unless you've put 1 million watt HID globes in :D )

How many times @ an accident have you heard "I didn't see you/them coming". As an emergency service worker I here this nearly every day. Those of us with dark cars this is especially an issue. Would make for an interesting discussion in court.

BTW I don't drive around with mine on, but that's not because I'm worried about the law.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
How many times @ an accident have you heard "I didn't see you/them coming". As an emergency service worker I here this nearly every day. Those of us with dark cars this is especially an issue.

thats why people try and run me off the road. i just thought it was cos everyone hated me :p

ncielens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SV6
thats why people try and run me off the road. i just thought it was cos everyone hated me :p

Also helps if you drive on the right side of the road ;)

commisme

iksayvz
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ6
Gday comm lovers,im a newbie to this so here goes.I have an Black VZ exec.I also would like to get some foggys-actually driving lights as i like to use them in morning and arvos and the fogs in the sv6 and ss makes the vz look that much more meaner,any one know where i can get some lights for my vz down here in a.c.t?Thanx peeps.