Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] " fog lights" rules....

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I have rewired my fogs to only come on as driving lights with the high beams and used drop in HID globes that are a single unit, globe and ballast, simply unplug the old globes and plug in the new, 5 minute conversion.

Sometimes when somebody hits me with their fogs, I hit them with mine ;)

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Acording to the manual that comes with your car , they are referred to as fog lights and says to check with your state laws regarding usage .

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
These are an aftermarket kit that I fitted so they are not the genuine lights. Very interesting information :) thanks for the feed back guys. And also the haters like big - al go somewhere ur actually going to help. A simple warning would of done the job perfect. With my uncle being a leading constable for highway patrol and my father being a sergeant both with lots of experience and knowledge they believe that discretion of fog light to driving lights need to be explored and infact everything from globe sizes and power to lens colour and distance as well as temperatures,
I work at Mercedes Benz in berwick as a qualified motor mechanic. These Mercedes are fitted with h11 55watt driving lights at the bottom that can not be turned off!!! That's right you can not turn them off....some fog lights on the new ones come inside the headlamp!! So who's gonna no there on? I'm very interested as iv explored court costs to get the matter heard by a magistrate and it's $30 court fees and you can not get a harsher penalty then applied. So worst case scenario is $141 for the fine + $30 court costs..... Some other factors that could influence the decision is of civic compliance is the car just came back from an insurance claim so I was unaware they were even on. And also the fact iv never once in 3 years received a driving penalty notice.
Will definantly keep u all posted guys, thanks for your help!! Keep it coming appreciate it.

NitroAl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX box of bolts
All I can say is suck it up, pay the fine and don't drive around with fog lights when there is no fog! The cop would have pulled you up for a reason, perhaps they where pointing right in his eyes. Your front bar only has to take a hit from a curb in a parking bay or a small animal and who knows where those lights are pointing! You can bet your bottom dollar that the panel beater didn't test those lights for correct adjustment!
Don't waste our tax dollars over a pissy little fine, just walk away with a lesson learned.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Mate the link to Vic roads was posted and can be read in plain English what the definition of fogs / driving lights are and where and when they can be used. End of story.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
All I can say is suck it up, pay the fine and don't drive around with fog lights when there is no fog! The cop would have pulled you up for a reason, perhaps they where pointing right in his eyes. Your front bar only has to take a hit from a curb in a parking bay or a small animal and who knows where those lights are pointing! You can bet your bottom dollar that the panel beater didn't test those lights for correct adjustment!
Don't waste our tax dollars over a pissy little fine, just walk away with a lesson learned.

I can bet that the head lights and fog lights were adjusted and aimed..... As it's the panel shop we get our Mercedes fixed from and they don't take any short cuts. And still believe a warning would of been more then appropriate. Ill be sending. My letter off today. Best of luck to me.