Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] " fog lights" rules....

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Just an undate, they are 55watt halogen h11 which are driving lights.... Fog lights are yellow as previously stated, when adjusted correctly all these do are widen the wrong angle and in my opinion provide a safer night time driving experience..... I will be writing a letter to civic compliance telling them they are a driving light and not a fog light, i will be attaching photos and sections from
The road safety act section 217 and also vic roads and further more the road worthy book from work. Can't hurt to try!! After all, they are NOT fog lights. So I was issued an incorrect ticket.

if it was infact a driving light,it should only come on with high beam, in which case you will probably be issued with a new fine, seeing as they are installed incorrectly, unless you had high beams on aswell

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Also.. Whatever the manufacturer calls them doesn't apply.. There a measurements on the DoT websites for what classes at fog lights.. And in QLD on a sedan pretty sure anything mounted more then 100mm below headlight level is classes as a 'fog' light..

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Just an undate, they are 55watt halogen h11 which are driving lights.... Fog lights are yellow as previously stated, when adjusted correctly all these do are widen the wrong angle and in my opinion provide a safer night time driving experience..... I will be writing a letter to civic compliance telling them they are a driving light and not a fog light, i will be attaching photos and sections from
The road safety act section 217 and also vic roads and further more the road worthy book from work. Can't hurt to try!! After all, they are NOT fog lights. So I was issued an incorrect ticket.

Safer for you maybe, but not safer for the other motorists who can't see properly because of your lights.

Don't know why anything more than standard headlights are needed on the Prinny hwy?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
Fog lights are usually lower mounted in the bumper to allow as much light to penetrate underneath the fog, illuminating the road and obstacles ahead. Lower down, they are meant to cause less glare from the fog itself. Holden classify their lights as Fog Lights, even though they are not yellow. Fog lights will activate at any time so long as at least the parkers are active.

Driving lights are mounted higher up, to supplement the main high beams when required and cover a greater area in more light. They will only turn on when the high beam is on.

Regardless of what kind of light it is, having them switched on under normal circumstances is an offence. Ans as for them coming off of eBay, theres a chance the seller doesn't know how to classify them properly.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Pass on my congratulations to the cop for finally giving out a ticket when it was actually required.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
i drive a 99 wh statesman with the lights in the lower area of the front bumper (FOG LIGHTS?)these lights shine down at the road and light up about 10feet in front of the vehicle they are in no way as bright as low beam but still illegal to use in normal driving conditions.
also have side lights that are the same brightness.when i turn, the light in that direction comes on when the indicator goes on this function can not be turned off (unless you take the globes out then you get a warning light on the dash when you indicate)
so i am allowed to use these but not the same wattage fog light that does not blind anyone anytime. stupid rules cause of all these euro cars with there big ass super bright fog lights and the recent holden and ford cars with the bright fog lights.
the rule should be if below a certain wattage they should be allowed but thats not how it is im afraid.

if you dont want the fine dont do the crime you have a switch for these lights use it and you wont have a problem if they are not on.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Qld Legislation
http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TrantOpRUVSSR10.pdf

Front fog lights
(1) A pair of front fog lights may be fitted to a motor vehicle with
4 or more wheels.
(2) A pair of front fog lights, or a single front fog light, may be
fitted to a motorbike or motortrike.
(3) A pair of front fog lights fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or
more wheels must have the centre of each light not over
400mm from the nearer side of the vehicle unless the centres
of the lights are at least 600mm apart.
(4) If the top of the front fog light is higher than the top of any
low-beam headlight on the vehicle, the centre of the fog light
must not be higher than the centre of the low-beam headlight.
(5) A front fog light must—
(a) when on—
(i) project white or yellow light in front of the vehicle;
and
(ii) be a low-beam light; and
(b) be able to be operated independently of any headlight;
and
(c) be fitted so the light from it does not reflect off the
vehicle into the driver’s eyes

Daytime running lights
(1) A pair of daytime running lights may be fitted to a motor
vehicle.
(2) A pair of daytime running lights fitted to a motor vehicle with
4 or more wheels must be fitted with the centre of each light—
(a) at least 600mm from the centre of the other light; and
(b) not over 510mm from the nearer side of the vehicle.
(3) However, a pair of daytime running lights fitted to a motor
vehicle under 1300mm wide may be fitted with the centre of
each light not under 400mm from the centre of the other light.
(4) When on, a daytime running light must—
(a) show a white or yellow light visible from the front of the
vehicle; and
(b) not use over 25W.
(5) Daytime running lights must be wired so they are off when a
headlight, other than a headlight being used as a flashing
signal, is on.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
@jafo : you may think that your fog lights are shining on the road, but on a smooth surface or especially in the wet, the beam of light bounces back up into the eyes of oncoming traffic. I live on the road, I agree with those above that hate their miss use as I have been blinded on many occasions that was too bloody close to me having an accident. There is just no need for them except in the circumstances for which they were designed.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
on my vy ss i added an extra relay so they only come on with high beam, was going to change the fog lights to dirving lights and add hid's but havnt found anything that will fit in the bumper bar properly.