Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Forward facing OTR

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Something like this (the top half), which is tapered towards the rear of the manifold should solve the distribution problem...
If I were to modify a ecotec intake I would machine down the plenum and then create a top that looks just like the below.
holley-efi-manifold-LEAD.jpg

I think the LS style OTR CAI works because it reduces the air flow path significantly. I don't think a later model OTR intake will fit as they are wider, many also hang down in front of the radiator of which there isn't much room on the VN-VS models unless you push the radiator back some how.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah on the vs an otr would need to go between the condenser and radiator after moving the radiator back. Which would mean restricted airflow, and if the aircon’s on it’d become a hot air intake and seriously hurt performance.

There’s just no room between the rad support and bonnet unfortunately.

L36hunter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III Statesman
That tapered design is how mine is. Its also 1" taller at the front giving larger volume/slow down air speed. Once its finished i need to plumb something up or im stuck with a pod hanging off the front.
Going for a dyno run after to see the difference it makes compared to standard manifold.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Are you going to use the stock T/B? Results won't necessarily be conclusive if you change the T/B size, not to mention they idle weird unless they've been tuned for it.

Props for actually doing some testing though.

L36hunter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III Statesman
Ive already had a dyno done with standard manifold with a 25mm bottom spacer and 69mm tb. Next dyno will be with modified manifold, 25mm spacer and 69mm tb then swap tb to a ls1 and do another run