Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

front suspension clunking when turning slow

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vy commodore ute
i just got a vy ute s and the fella wreckons he got new shocks put in it and he said the mechanic left a washer out ,so when u turn it all the way to left or right it makes a clunk noise but only travelling slow or stoped any one know how to fix ??

VY_utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive ute s1
problem may be the shock rubbers themselves. Usually the top plate that holds down the spring. it can become weak. called ''shock knock''

If it only happens when you turn the wheel its probably just the washer issue, it the same noise begins when going over potholes or speed bumps at low speeds, bet to check out the bearings and shock rubbers for wear and tear

Never trust the guy whos selling it to you :p

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vy commodore ute
oh ok then well i noticed when u turn it full lock the spring doesn't move to a certain point then turns while making the clunk noise but also i think what might be causing the problem it has a 5 post bullbar so might be to much weight on the front and cause the springs to getting struck while turning.

dan-wess

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY S Pac Series II
I had a bit of a clunk in my vy s sedan, changed the factory sway bar links out with the heavey duty nolathane ones, cleared it up.
Dan

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
It could also be the radius rod/caster bushes..

Mr_Calais

go the K's
Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Calais and 03 VY storm ute 05 hilux
yeah i think i had wat ur talking about when i had my vy ute while stopped and turing the wheel, there are a set of bearings under the strut top and if lowered there is more stress on them and the casing is plastic and sh*#ts its self had to do mine a couple of times but the 2nd set from pedders seam to be stronger than holden ones even tho they look the same go figure
hope it helps .. the bearings are $15 bucks i think

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
does it knock a number of time while turning or only once at full lock?
if it does it number of times its likely to be the top beaings, get someone to tun the wheel and you look under the bonnetm sometimes when there real bad you can see the movement.

guyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY_S
i think mines doing the same thing...i just got new shocks put in two days ago and whenever i go up my driveway or over bumps i get a cluncking, clicking noise from the front :S

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
As said above check your sway bar rubbers.

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
*double up post *

Last edited: