Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front wheel rubbing

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
So, ever since I have owned my wagon whenever I take a tight right hander and load up the left front wheel I get a knocking/grinding sound, I have 22's now but even when I had the standard 19's on it still happened. So got a servive yesterday and they noticed wear on the front left and right strut spring plate, worse on the left. Found a generic picture as reference, will get actual ones soon.
Anyone come across this before, i'm thinking sagging front struts?

frontstrut-1.jpg

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I've had it happen to my driver's side front in my old ute. Happened in a prang but is apparently pretty common. Decent pot holes can bend the struts enough to scrub the inside edge of the tyre. It can go missed as well. I had my ute repaired and got it back all signed off with wheel alignment report and everything. Took it back with the scrubbing and a slightly off-centre steering wheel and found the bent strut.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Do you have the correct profile on the 22s so the rolling diameter is the same as factory?

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
either Bent strut OR needs camber adjustment done as you can lean the tyre away from the strut with a camber adjustment
also check the inner gaurd for rubbing as you may have a caster problem also...

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
Yer profile is good on my 22's and it's rubbing nowhere but on the bottom of that spring retainer.
Has to be something out shape cause was happening with 19's as well.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
yeah get a wheel alignment done with a printout and ask them to adjust the front camber

Jono Rice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 5.7 M6
hey guys ive got the same problem on my vx ss, front left has scrub marks on the exact same spot. While i was changing the castor bushes i noticed that the radius/strut rod on the left side was way closer too the sway bar than it was on the right (nearly touching) so ive ordered a new set of radius rods and hoping this will fix the problem, what do you guys think?

Jono Rice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 5.7 M6
Any ideas guys? I'm really stumped as to what could be causing this...

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
There is a piece of metal that is attached to the chassis on the inside of the wheel well, about 15cm long and 5-10cm wide. It hangs down below the chassis and on my car it was bent up and inwards, so whenever I went full lock the inside of the wheel would rub on it. My mechanic just removed them lol. Issue solved. They didnt look like they did anything as they didnt hold anything in place. Take your wheel off and a have look?