Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squeaking Front Monroe GT Strut Towers - VE Sedan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 SII
Gday everyone

I recently installed some Monroe GT struts and King SSL springs and have experienced a creaking noise in the cabin, most noticeably from the front left of the car.

Upon further inspection upon lifting, the top of both front strut towers are ‘skipping’ along as the wheels are steered left and right. You can feel it on the mounts in the engine bay. I haven’t got a video yet but the top of the towers in the wheel well are jumping along as they rotate, like when rubber is pushed across something hard, making a squeaking noise.

The suspension was installed entirely unsprung, the noise didn’t occur with the stock suspension, and the car hasn’t yet had a wheel alignment.
Currently the plan is to get it back on a hoist, take everything off and reinstall as much as I can whilst under sprung load in the hopes that that’ll fix the geometry and get rid of the noise.
Is this the best course of action, or should I be trying something else?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Gday everyone

I recently installed some Monroe GT struts and King SSL springs and have experienced a creaking noise in the cabin, most noticeably from the front left of the car.

Upon further inspection upon lifting, the top of both front strut towers are ‘skipping’ along as the wheels are steered left and right. You can feel it on the mounts in the engine bay. I haven’t got a video yet but the top of the towers in the wheel well are jumping along as they rotate, like when rubber is pushed across something hard, making a squeaking noise.

The suspension was installed entirely unsprung, the noise didn’t occur with the stock suspension, and the car hasn’t yet had a wheel alignment.
Currently the plan is to get it back on a hoist, take everything off and reinstall as much as I can whilst under sprung load in the hopes that that’ll fix the geometry and get rid of the noise.
Is this the best course of action, or should I be trying something else?
Did you check the bearings in the strut tops when you swapped the springs and struts?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Always use new bearings. Always use new strut tops. Every time. Problem solved.