Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Consumption with E85

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Hi,

So just a quick one.

If my car out of the box runs 260 fwkw on 95RON fuel, what will it run on 98 and E85?

Or does it not change?

Also, I spoke to a certain performance workshop in Melbourne regarding a tune (not e85 specific, just intake and exhaust), and they specifically said to me that Holden cannot tell if your car has been tuned. Is this true?

Cheers,

Chris

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
If my car out of the box runs 260 fwkw on 95RON fuel, what will it run on 98 and E85?

Or does it not change?

A bit more, but not much more without recalibration (tune). E85 will show the most improvement as it has sensors to trigger a different tune, whereas feedback from knock sensors to determine octane rating is potentially dangerous hence conservative in the stock tune.

Also, I spoke to a certain performance workshop in Melbourne regarding a tune (not e85 specific, just intake and exhaust), and they specifically said to me that Holden cannot tell if your car has been tuned. Is this true?

Yes but depends on whether the Calibration Verification Number is reset by replacing the operating system in the tune, not all do. Most likely workshop will use a custom OS like EFI live so is OK.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Great! Thanks mate

XioiX1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 V8 Adventra
Hi there,

I know this is bit of thread dig. But,

Unlike the other fool, I like the idea of e85! but I have a VZ LS1 Adventra, with a mafless tune (98 octane tune) by Steve at Oz-track, goes great!!! I was looking at the E85 conversion, fuel pump/lines and all. Will cost about $1000 for the kit and around another 1k for lines etc. I am starting to think that its not worth it (weight issues and may have to retune etc) . Any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Hi there,

I know this is bit of thread dig. But,

Unlike the other fool, I like the idea of e85! but I have a VZ LS1 Adventra, with a mafless tune (98 octane tune) by Steve at Oz-track, goes great!!! I was looking at the E85 conversion, fuel pump/lines and all. Will cost about $1000 for the kit and around another 1k for lines etc. I am starting to think that its not worth it (weight issues and may have to retune etc) . Any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers

Well ethanol delivers more torque lower down, keeps your engine cool (important in working adventra) Steve will rtune it so car runs on flex fuel - any combo of ethanol and petrol. You save $25 per tank, paid for itself within a year.

Cheeko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport
I love my VF, Great when company pays for fuel so i have tried everything, Caltex E85 ok, but E85 from United is a dream, I have had my car since july last year and i think its only now I'mm really noticing it going real hard.

hdt176

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Ute
I bought my Redline ute new last August, it has now traveled almost 15000 km's. I struggle to get 320 km's out of a tank of E85.
That is my only complaint of the car.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I bought my Redline ute new last August, it has now traveled almost 15000 km's. I struggle to get 320 km's out of a tank of E85.
That is my only complaint of the car.

Drive it like you stole it!!

hdt176

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Ute
No, just normal city driving. The thing has never worked up a sweat. I'm going to switch from E85 to PULP & see if it improves.....

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
u will get better distance from petrol but loose a little power and the nice smell, the factory e85 tune is probably quite average as well...