Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Consumption with E85

crazywog

XR6 TURBO KING
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 TURBO she needs a tissue achoo
E85 where can i start, first of all its csr which is the same as sugar and basically ur putting suger in ur fuel system which clogs it up ur fuel system. it gets used alot quicker, not a big fan of it guys altho its just my opinion and we all have our opinion. normal premuim 98 and fuel additive octane booster is the trick and every few kays i go normal unleaded. which in my case i have to run 98 as its turbo.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
E85 where can i start, first of all its csr

First of all you are incorrect right off the bat. There is a diversity in supply from over half a dozen companies, none of which is called CSR (anymore).

which is the same as sugar and basically ur putting suger in ur fuel system which clogs it up ur fuel system.

No it's not, not even derived from sugar, United use QLD sorghum near Dalby, and Caltex use NSW's Manildra (wheat flour) to distill alcohol.

it gets used alot quicker, not a big fan of it guys

It does burn more at WOT vs petrol but that is offset with thermal efficiency, something you will be familiar with owning a turbo. It also produces far more work than petrol at higher pressures, ie a GenIV 6.0 at 13:1 static on e85 returns more torque, power with less fuel than 98 force fed at 4 psi.

Is it price or perceived scarcity of alcohol that puts you off using the best fuel for your car?

normal premuim 98 and fuel additive octane booster is the trick and every few kays i go normal unleaded. which in my case i have to run 98 as its turbo.

What does 'normal premium 98' mean? Is that the normal 50¢ a litre premium shaft we get from the Saudis when we pay for 98?

That cocktail of noxious chemicals and pollutants you are using is for countries outside the Kyoto treaty which don't have e85. Such complicated, inefficient and toxic workarounds belong to the '70s era of turbocharging mass production street cars (even modified taxis in some cases) to artificially boost cylinder volume and compression without knock. Big Oil's answer to complicating a toothpick.

However in 2014 pouring comparatively low octane and thermally inefficient dino saliva and synthetic crap into your highly fuel inefficient contraption (and into our atmosphere) is quite unreasonable when you have the option to drive a high compression, high capacity V8 on e85 for less.

You realise if your car didn't utilise a bolt-on device to prop up the cylinder pressure from a deadly smoggy and inefficient (say 9:1 CR) old school taxi engine to 14.5:1 effective compression ratio, and instead simply swapped in high comp pistons for e85 then you would have more power for less money with less complication?

Of course forced induction cars run better on ethanol versus 98 but it is not the fuel that makes them inefficient. It's because they were built for the everyday driving limitations of fossil fuel in mind.

We are fortunate to have the local cheap supply chain of ethanol, why not use it in your car to make it go better?

Why do you have a problem with the conspicuous consumption of ethanol from biomass when it is better for your wallet, your car, our environment, our fuel security?

Last edited:

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
E85 where can i start, first of all its csr which is the same as sugar and basically ur putting suger in ur fuel system which clogs it up ur fuel system. it gets used alot quicker, not a big fan of it guys altho its just my opinion and we all have our opinion. normal premuim 98 and fuel additive octane booster is the trick and every few kays i go normal unleaded. which in my case i have to run 98 as its turbo.

I'm going to have a stab in the dark and say you didn't pass high school chemistry?

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Yes mate, in engineering mode you can get a read of the ethanol level (or use an OBD reader), and because it's winter, unfortunately the best ethanol content I've had since end of Autumn is 70% United, 60% Caltex.
See the reason is obviously not the price of ethanol (which is now next to nothing from Sorghum out at Dalby) but commercial risk associated with Service Company's storage and delivery at lower dewpoints due to colder weather (adds to the complexity of anhydrous supply).
Because of its burn properties our car won't start near the snow-line or across the Hay Plain (less than 11ºC) with 85% - it will eventually start, run badly for about 15 minutes then go like the clappers - unless overnight ambient is significantly less than freezing when the normally harmless 1-2% moisture creates micro icicle gremlins at points throughout the fuel supply.
Spring is coming, United servos with high turnover will be above 80% within a couple of weeks, book your car in to have it tuned for e85 then, as opposed to e58 from Caltex at the moment!

See it's the "temperamentaleness" of the high ethanol content fuels that I don't like. While I can see and understand the benefits of it, I can't stand the issues. Frequenting Canberra and the snow fields in winter makes it impractical and the potential damage to engine/fuel components due to moisture are scary. Plus swapping fuel filters much more often is a PITA. Any savings you're making take a long time to recoup after the cost of the tune. Where-as I can put in BP Ultimate and get 700km (weekends) and 550km (weekdays) a tank! If my car was only in places where temps rarely dip low, I'd tune and use E85 in a heartbeat.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
See it's the "temperamentaleness" of the high ethanol content fuels that I don't like.

It's the versatility and compliance that's the real benefit, basically you don't need to worry about intake air temperatures -10º to 130º C, fuelling is not as critical, neither is ignition timing... the main thing is you can run compression to at least 18:1 dynamic so its actually a way to move engineering forward, the opposite of what you think.

While I can see and understand the benefits of it, I can't stand the issues. Frequenting Canberra and the snow fields in winter makes it impractical and the potential damage to engine/fuel components due to moisture are scary.

Practically you won't make it from outside Cooma to the fields, but if you do then I've had the car completely frosted over and gentle warm up takes about a minute then you are fine. As a snowier I think you realise there's worse thing to consider than micro-ice in the fuel lines. BTW there is typically 50% more moisture in the air (humidity) in sunny SE QLD than above the snow line.

Plus swapping fuel filters much more often is a PITA.

There isn't a serviceable fuel filter in your car, but if there were, what would changing that be in aid of not running ethanol?

Any savings you're making take a long time to recoup after the cost of the tune.

I save $80 - $100 a week, set to increase to $60 a tank ($120 a week) within the year thanks to much needed increase in excise tax.

Both your GenIV cars require about $400 work (parts and labour) to update, tune will be about the same, $800 paid off well within a few months and you lessen your carbon footprint by 40%, open the door to more performance.

Where-as I can put in BP Ultimate and get 700km (weekends) and 550km (weekdays) a tank! If my car was only in places where temps rarely dip low, I'd tune and use E85 in a heartbeat.

So do the math, BP98 700 km per tank? I doubt that driving a two tonne low compression V8 in a cold hilly place, but anyway... $1.75 per litre x 73 = $127.75 / 700km = 18¢ per km. Same best case scenario with e85 goes $1.18 per litre x 73 = $86.14 / 630km = 14¢ per km. That's $41.61 saved per tank, driving like a granny closed loop most of time.

My point is to clarify common misconceptions for objective consideration however I appreciate the benefit of changeover is moot for you.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
The sad thing is, this great fuel is not more widely available. Cannot get it here even if I wanted too..

That's the other problem... At least there's about 4 BPs within a few km of my place and work for BP Ultimate. :D

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
at the pump would make it easier ill be buying it by the barrel soon...

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
After three years and almost 30,000 litres mapping flex fuel routes and stops across the eastern seaboard I'm almost ready to take the plunge and run my car on mainly ethanol.
I
've spent some time doing the math, talking to experts, and sourcing some trick bits to upgrade the L77 to run 13:1 static compression, partly for performance and efficiency and to push this flex fuel thing a bit further. I hope to get nearly the same l/100k as 98 and of course go better too.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67

Not even close man