Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Economy

Steven M

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX BERLINA S2 V6
BTW gyp23, the tank is 75L standard so it probably isn't that good compared to the 4cyl. At the moment I'm upto 460km with this tank but the trip comp says I have only 10L left yet when I switch to fuel used, it says I've used 54L. What's with that??

gyp23

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Yeh, the 4cyl only had 30L, so it's all relative - I only put 60L into the Holden and got twice the distance :)

R

RKZ234

1050 km from 72lt in a VX V6 Auto sed on cruise at 102kph from Coonabarabran to Mornington (Melb)

840km in a VX S/C V6 from Doncaster to Dubbo.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTS Commodore
hey i own a 99VT V6 auto and got just over 600k's out of a tank is this average (average speed is about 70kph) also when i filled up i found that i still had about 20 litres left in the tank but my distance to empty showed only 28 kms is this reading usually so inaccurate?

R

RKZ234

Sebatian said:
hey i own a 99VT V6 auto and got just over 600k's out of a tank is this average (average speed is about 70kph) also when i filled up i found that i still had about 20 litres left in the tank but my distance to empty showed only 28 kms is this reading usually so inaccurate?

No it's not normal. Every VT, VX, VY and VZ sedan and S/Wagon I've driven have all had VERY accurate fuel guages.

So accurate that when I've driven on long trips that when the distance left displays 5km, the car is still running and I've then put 74lt into (a 75lt tank) a sedan for example.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTS Commodore
i only ask because it seemed strange that when i stopped at traffic lights the DTE would start decreasing at 5km every 10 seconds or so

M

mikemutlow

The DTE readout is based upon the fuel gauge sender signal and is subject to the inherent innacuracy of these devices (which, from previous threads, suggests that they are generally calibrated to read low so that you don't run out of fuel). The readout for DTE will drop quickly when you are idling as it seems to calculate this figure fron the indicated fuel tank contents and the instant litres/100km figure which, when idling, is effectively infinity! The only figure which seems to be 'accurate' is the readout for litres used as this seems to come, not from the fuel gauge sender, but from a summation of the actual fuel which has been metred through the injectors and stored in the computers memory. So long as you reset the trip when you filled up and know how much you had in the tank to start with (i.e. 75 litres if full) then you can accurately calculate what is left. I think one of the reasons the gauge is pessimistic is that it is bad news (for all sorts of reasons) if you run completely out.
Oh yes, and I also regularly get 850 - 900 kms out of 75 litres but if I go near town this comes crashing down!

R

RKZ234

Dave398 said:
Anything over 750km per tank is bs. I have been driving fleet cars since 2002 in the wheatbelt of WA. I have driven VX's, VY's and VZ's and I own a VX and have never got more than about 750 out of a tank (all country driving)

Sorry Dave, but you are incorrect.

I've obtained OVER 1000km out of a Sedan's standard 75lt tank of fuel driving from Coonabarabran to Sth East Melbourne in a VX series I and II as well as in a VY S. All were automatics.

Last edited by a moderator:

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Agreed, I almost get 1000ks to a tank long distance. Thats just petrol too.
Dunno how far I'll go on gas yet though.

R

ronski

864km in an Auto

Drove from QLD Border to Sydney in one sitting (No stops)
Set the cruise to 80km and sat back over a tuesday night.
If my crappy S1 VT can do it with an Auto then 1000km should be possible for a Grandad driver in a manual!