Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fuel gauge and temp???

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
hahaha, welcome to the 'tapping the dash club'
i have to do it once a day to get my fuel or temp gauge working.
some passengers whom have no idea what i'm doing stare in disbelief sometime....

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
For all those prone to dash bashing (yes the little taps turn into thumps and then degrade to bashing) the voltage regulator inside the cluster has a few cracked solder joints.

Pull out the cluster and remove the little PCB behind the speedo and resolder to stop the bashing.. :)

Maccar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 304
I was a dash basher until a week ago when my fuel gauge stopped all together. Since then I have changed the fuel/temp section of the cluster with a new one. Still no joy, could this dry socket issue be my problem? Or when I replaced the fuel / temp gauges did I eliminate this?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
I was a dash basher until a week ago when my fuel gauge stopped all together. Since then I have changed the fuel/temp section of the cluster with a new one. Still no joy, could this dry socket issue be my problem? Or when I replaced the fuel / temp gauges did I eliminate this?

Did you take the voltage regulator out and put a little solder on the joints? The gauges are only the poroblem about 10% of the time.

Maccar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 304
No I didn't, I wasn't even aware of this issue before, hence buying a new fuel / temp gauge. Now since I've become aware of the voltage regulator issue the only thing I keep reading about it is, it's the way to fix a "sticky" gauge. Not an inoperative one. So I guess my question is, does the voltage regulator solder connection issue commonly cause the fuel gauge to become completely inoperative?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
No I didn't, I wasn't even aware of this issue before, hence buying a new fuel / temp gauge. Now since I've become aware of the voltage regulator issue the only thing I keep reading about it is, it's the way to fix a "sticky" gauge. Not an inoperative one. So I guess my question is, does the voltage regulator solder connection issue commonly cause the fuel gauge to become completely inoperative?

Sure will. starts off with it not working on the odd occation thought to dead. If you pull it out and have a look at the solder joints you may well find tell tail signs of "cracked rings" on the solder joints. Quick dob of solder should see it working again.

The other issue it could be is a broken track on the PCB (green backing on the cluster) Have a good close look while the cluster is out.

Last edited:

Maccar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 304
Thanks ill pull her apart again tomorrow and have a squiz.

Maccar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 304
Well i pulled mine apart again and didnt notice any issues with the solder joints, but i re soldered them again anyway as per instructions on here. I checked the PCB for cracks / damage and no probs there either. Put her back together and no joy......................... So now she has a re soldered voltage regulator and brand new fuel temp gauge!!!! Im wondering where to go now? Is it possible that the issue is on the other end down at the tank???

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well i pulled mine apart again and didnt notice any issues with the solder joints, but i re soldered them again anyway as per instructions on here. I checked the PCB for cracks / damage and no probs there either. Put her back together and no joy......................... So now she has a re soldered voltage regulator and brand new fuel temp gauge!!!! Im wondering where to go now? Is it possible that the issue is on the other end down at the tank???

If the tan wire at C1#5 has no volts then the connector at the tank may be the issue - but the temp gauge has a different feed - the green wire so I'd look at the earth side of things first.

To test the gauge - just touch 12v for a second or 2 direct from a battery (they only use about 10 v max so dont do it for too long)